Understanding the path to NAU
All exchange students must be nominated by their home university before applying to NAU. Please contact your home university’s study abroad office about the nomination and selection process.
Exchange application requirements
- Transcript: for all post-secondary/university education. All transcripts/mark sheets must be submitted in English. We require a minimum of a 2.5 grade point average (GPA).
- Proof of English proficiency: submit documentation of your English proficiency meeting one of these minimum requirements:
|Test or Status||Minimum Requirements|
|TOEFL||70 IBT (School code 4006, MyBest Score accepted)|
|ACT English & Reading||21|
|Pearson Test of English||56|
|IB English A||5 for higher level & 6 for standard level|
|IB English B||7 for higher and standard levels|
|Transferring from a U.S. institution||One 3-credit course in English composition with a passing grade|
|Exchange student from Europe||B2 level in English|
|From a high school or university entirely taught in English||4 years of high school English (composition and literature) with passing grades and/or verification from your school that all courses are taught in English|
|From one of these English-speaking countries||No proof of English required|
- Proof of financial support: Provide proof of financial support and complete the financial guarantee for the total amount of fees and expenses. This document is required for the SEVIS form DS-2019, the immigration form you will need to apply for a student visa.
- All financial documents must be in English or translated into English.
- Only checking, savings, and cash accounts are acceptable. Investments such as retirement accounts, mutual funds, insurance, and other investments cannot be used.
- Statements must clearly indicate the name of the account holder and the balance, as well as the currency.
- The financial statement must be no older than 6 months.
- The sponsor’s name must appear on the financial documents and match the name on this form (if the financial information is not in the student applicant’s name).
- Passport: submit a copy of the identification page.
- NAU online application: Students will submit all documents online through the NAU online application. The Inbound Exchange Coordinator will share the application link with the student once the official nomination for exchange has been received from the home university and approved by NAU.
For exchange during the fall semester (August – December): apply by April 15th
For exchange during the spring semester (January – May): apply by October 15th
Questions? Contact ExchangeStudent@nau.edu