Pathways to Professional Leadership
HRM Pathways are seminars, discussions, and events designed to help our students build skills pertaining to academic success, development both professionally and personally, and to equip them with knowledge that will aid them in applying for and attaining management positions and/or internship placement.
- Academic Success
- Improve study skills
- Teach students time management
- Engage in opportunities for academic success in our program and at NAU
- Professional and Personal Development
- Build and improve soft skills
- Learn the value of teamwork
- Develop strategic thinking and planning
- Job Placement
- Sharpen interviewing and resume skills
- Help students learn the importance of appearance
- Give students knowledge about different aspects of the hospitality and restaurant management industry
Students who are in the 2015-2016 Academic Catalog and beyond are required to complete 8 Pathway Events before graduation. Students who are in the Academic Catalogs before 2015-2016 are required to complete 6 Pathway Events before graduation.
All upcoming pathway events are listed in the Suitable application under activities.
Examples of Past Pathway Events
- Club Night: Designed to encourage our students to become active members in HRM Clubs (students hear a 15-minute presentation about a club they are interested in joining).
- Resume Review: Hosted by the Gateway Student Success Center, this event was created to help students sharpen their resumes, organize their content, and create a professional-looking resumes in preparation for the HRM Career Fair.
- NYPD Pizza Pathway: Devoted to helping students who are interested in restaurant management learn about leadership in the restaurant industry; the day included lunch, a tour of the restaurant, and a one-on-one session with Rich Stark (who is Rich Stark, we should list his company).
- Darden Pathway: Recruiters from Darden Restaurants discussed appropriate dress and interviewing tips in preparation for the HRM Career Fair.