The School of Hotel and Restaurant Management supports student student education and professional development in many ways. Our Corporate Executive Experiences offer students an opportunity to interact with high-level corporate officials at their corporate headquarters. We also send students to professional shows. For trips outside of the Phoenix area, all expenses are paid.
In 2018-19, we are planning trips to the following. The name of the event will link to the application when applications are available. PLEASE submit applications as a Word document or a PDF. If you submit a Google Doc application, you will be asked to resubmit the application and must do so before the deadline.
- The Lodging Conference in Phoenix, AZ. Sept. 24-28, 2018 (applications closed).
- M Culinary Gala Weekend in Phoenix, AZ: Event planning. Nov. 2-3, 2018. Applications due Oct. 2, 2018.
- Drury Hotels headquarters in St. Louis, MO. Nov. 8-11, 2018. Applications due Oct. 8, 2018.
- M Culinary Polo Championship Weekend in Phoenix, AZ: Event planning. Nov. 9-10, 2018. Applications due Oct. 9, 2018.
- The Hotel Show in New York City, NY. Nov. 10-13. Applications due Oct. 15, 2018.
- M Culinary Holiday Party Weekend in Phoenix, AZ: Event planning . Dec. 7-8, 2018. Applications due Nov. 6, 2018.
- M Culinary Waste Management Phoenix Open Weekend in Phoenix, AZ: Event planning. Jan. 30-Feb. 3, 2019. Applications due Jan. 5, 2019.
- Pappas Restaurants headquarters in Houston, TX. Feb. 24-26, 2019.
- The Coffee Expo in Boston, MA. April 11-14, 2019.
- The National Restaurant Association Show in Chicago, IL. May 18-21, 2019.
HRM Executive Speaker Series
Each semester, the School of Hotel and Restaurant Management brings experienced experts in the hospitality industry as part of the Executive Speaker Series. These industry leaders share their experiences and advice to students that elevate their knowledge and give them skills to help in their job searches and career progression.
During 2018-19, the Executive Speaker Series is
- October 9, 2018: Marc Ellin, Global Head of Miraval Group, Hyatt Corporation
- November 7, 2018: Robert Stuckey, Owner and Master Sommelier at Frasca Food and Wine
- March 5, 2019: Lauren Bailey, Co-founder and CEO of Upward Projects Restaurant Concepts
- April 2, 2019: Sheila Kloefkorn, CEO of KEO Marketing
Want to find out what the hospitality industry has to offer beyond the classroom? Learning is made Real on the job. So providing opportunities to our students for internships with one of our outstanding partners is a strong focus for us.
Hear about it from students who have experienced these opportunities:
Enrollment Information Accordion Closed
Required Application Forms Accordion Closed
Internship FAQs Accordion Closed
Q: How do I fit these into my 4-year plan for graduation?
A: Full internships are done either with a semester off of academic studies or during the summer hiatus.
If you do take a semester off and can’t cover that coursework in the summer or with a heavier semester load, then it will delay graduation by that amount of time.
But, we feel it is worth it in achieving the long term career goals and will put you in a stronger position for post graduation job placement.
Q: If I don’t do an internship in Flagstaff, how do I pay living expenses?
There are a number of internship opportunities right here in Flagstaff through valued partners. If you do decide to apply for an internship outside of Flagstaff, then living expenses will most likely be on your own.
Valued Internship Partners Accordion Closed
(links are to external pages)
Four Seasons Resorts
Hyatt Hotels and Resorts
Marriott Lodging Int’l
Marriott Vacation Club Int’l
Starwood Hotels & Resorts
The Old Spaghetti Factory
FOX Restaurant Concepts
Walt Disney College Program
Windmill Inns of America
Forest Highlands Country Club
Little America Hotels & Resorts