Hospitality Event Management, Undergraduate Certificate
Career Tab Open
University Requirements Tab Closed
Overview Tab Closed
Details Tab Closed
Campus Availability Tab Closed
Career Accordion Open
What Can I Do with a Certificate in Hospitality Event Management?
A hospitality major with a Certificate in Hospitality Event Management will enhance their opportunity of being employed by event-planning departments of hotels, convention facilities, exhibition facilities, country clubs, and resorts.
University Requirements Accordion Closed
To receive an undergraduate certificate (at least 15 units) at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject matter areas with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0.
Please be aware that federal financial aid is not available for some certificates, if the certificate is pursued and completed as a stand-alone certificate (i.e., not completed concurrently with a degree program). See the "Details" tab for additional information.
Overview Accordion Closed
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
Please note that you may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||15|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 114|
The Event Management Certificate prepares students for careers in event-planning departments of hotels, convention facilities, exhibition facilities, country clubs, and resorts. Students gain background and experiences in planning, budgeting, and implementing conferences, meetings, and other special events in the public and private sectors. Coursework provides students with professional preparation focusing on the concepts and principles involved in catering events; meetings, events, and convention management; interior design for event spaces; special events management; budgets and finance; site selection; contracts, vendors, and negotiations; marketing and promotions; food production; and meeting technology.
At the completion of the certificate, students will be able to demonstrate event-planning skills via an on-site, hands-on internship; interpret and evaluate effective space planning solutions for a variety of event venues; formulate and manage an event budget; and explain the process of planning, selecting, and scheduling activities, organizing volunteers and staff, and marketing and promoting a variety of events.
Students who earn this certificate will be ready to design, plan, and execute successful events for any sized group.
Student Learning Outcomes
Students will be able to:
1. Describe the event and meeting industry, including seminars, conventions, conferences, expositions, trade shows, and special events.
2. Conduct effective event and meeting management research, including needs assessment, site analysis, situation analysis, and feasibility studies.
3. Demonstrate professionalism in event management, covering the knowledge base, theory, methodologies and ethics.
4. Develop and demonstrate skills sets firsthand via an on-site, hands-on internship.
5. Identify criteria utilized in the selection of a site and explain the organization of a budget, and the financial management for an event.
6. Demonstrate the process of planning, selecting, and scheduling activities, organizing volunteers and staff, and promoting an event.
7. Interpret and evaluate effective space planning solutions for a variety of interior spaces that will enhance the event.
8. Interpret and describe principles of both business and not-for-profit management to the special needs of event organizations.
Details Accordion Closed
Take the following 15 units with a grade of "C" or better in each course.
Take the following (12 units):
Select one of the following tracks:
- HA 408 (3 units) OR
- 400 hours of documented work experience in Event Planning and take three units from the following list:
To complete this certificate you must be a declared Hotel and Restaurant Management Major.
This certificate may only be pursued and completed concurrently with a degree program. This certificate is not available as a stand-alone certificate.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.