Every year students apply and are selected to participate in an Executive Job Shadow. For the 2017/2018 academic school year, 18 students were given the opportunity to work alongside an executive from one of the 13 available companies. Below you will find the list with both the students that participated and the executives that worked with them.
The Executive Job Shadow program is a priceless opportunity for students to go behind the scenes before they finish school and learn how a given industry truly works outside of the classroom concepts. They learn from top executives from both large and small firms. This gives the students an ability to experience the work environment and hear stories and experiences from employees of their respective companies. Most of these companies are located in Arizona, but there are a few on the east coast in New York and Connecticut as well. The companies range from small privately owned businesses to large government owned departments. For example, one student worked alongside Scott Gurba, an alumni of NAU 1990, at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. Here’s what she had to say about her time there:
“[While} shadowing Scott Gurba, I got an inside look at the [Federal Government’s] unique culture and operations. I attended meetings alongside Scott and toured the gold and cash vaults. I also met with other individuals within the organization and created some great connections. This was overall one of the most motivating experiences of my college career, and I would encourage other students to take advantage of this amazing opportunity.”
~ Rebecca Ruiz
Two other students, Christopher Mejia and Dane Nardi, had the opportunity to work with local Arizona companies, Stowebridge Promotions Group and Plexcity respectively. Christopher illuminates how he learned that the management style is important to the success of the company.
“Ms. Kathy Finnerty Thomas taught me that in order to see positive change in the company culture, it takes a supervisor to be open and to listen more than they speak. She also [talked] about giving positive feedback to employees when they do something right.”
~ Christopher Mejia
Dane’s time with Plexcity taught him about leadership and business management.
“I highly recommend the executive job shadow program to any student interested in business or leadership. The program gave me the opportunity to walk in the shoes of Tony Kitt, the President and CEO of the company Plexcity. Witnessing the daily life of a CEO as a college student was an incredible experience. Mr. Kitt taught me the importance of critical thinking and emotional intelligence in business. The program was by far one of my most memorable college experiences.”
~ Dane Nardi
The experiences gained and the lessons learned will undoubtedly affect how students pursue their career goals. They receive valuable insight on how some businesses operate and are able to take what they learn, and apply it, wherever they go.
Here are the students, their majors, and the executives from their respective companies:
- Crystal Turner (ACC) | Jimmy Lovelace, BeachFleischman
- Irving Sanchez (ACC) | Nicole Harrigan, Regier Carr & Monroe
- Nanxue (Michelle) Zhao | (ACC), Brenda Blunt, Eide Bailly
- Khaliah Gates (ACC) | Brenda Blunt, Eide Bailly
- Kendall Pori (ACC), (MGT | Jim Carbone, The Vanguard Group
- Yang Xiang (FIN) | Jim Carbone, The Vanguard Group
- Samuel Herbst (FIN) | Jeff Beatty, CBRE
- Rebecca Ruiz (FIN) | Scott Gurba, Federal Reserve Bank of New York
- Gabriella Berne (FIN) | Jeff Huppler and Dave Longstaff, Consolidated Electrical Distributors
- Malik Collins (ECO) | Larry Downey, Cushman & Wakefield
- Dane Nardi (ECO) | Tony Kitt, Plexcity
- Adam Teich (MGT) | Kathy Finnerty Thomas, Stowebridge Promotions Group
- Christopher Mejia (MKT) | Kathy Finnerty Thomas, Stowebridge Promotions Group
- Marcela Gutierrez (MKT) | Kathy Finnerty Thomas, Stowebridge Promotions Group
- Chance Dingman (MKT) | Mike Donley, Donley Service Center
- Shai Nevo (MKT) | Lisa Bacus, Cigna Foundation
- Devon Olivarez (MGT) | Brad Meuli, Denver Rescue Mission
- Keera Cooper (ACC) | Brad Meuli, Denver Rescue Mission