Business Administration, Master of Business Administration
If you are interested in a career in business, including public accounting, consulting, retail, insurance, general business management, etc., our MBA program may fit your needs. For our early career students it offers excellent opportunities to strengthen your knowledge of business functions while improving leadership, communication and team skills. As you build your portfolio and your resume, you will be given the opportunity to participate in career fairs, networking events, mock interviews, and executive job shadows. Graduates from our program work for top-level firms including Intel, KPMG, Raytheon, Grant Thornton, and Vanguard.
For the working professionals, our online delivery mode offers flexibility and serves your need of balancing work and family responsibility with still keeping an eye on your career and professional growth. Because our online MBA offers a combination of synchronous and asynchronous learning, this delivery mode can be used to adapt to your complex schedules.
Our faculty are approachable and interested in your personal development and education. If you have core business knowledge obtained at the undergraduate level, you can complete our MBA in ten months. If you did not study business as an undergraduate, you can complete our program in 18 months or less.
Our accelerated format allows in-person students to finish more quickly compared to many other MBA programs. You begin earning sooner, and limit the out-of-pocket and opportunity cost of your education. If you are a resident of one of 14 western states you will pay in-state tuition. Scholarships, tuition waivers and graduate assistantships are also available. Please visit our website for details.
This graduate degree is intended for both early-career individuals as well as working professionals who aspire to develop business knowledge and skills for their career growth and success. MBA students bring a diversity of academic and professional experiences, making the classroom a dynamic environment for the exchange of perspectives and ideas. The program is offered both an online and in-person format. The in-person format is available at the Flagstaff campus and in addition to the benefits of an MBA degree, it also offers excellent opportunities, such as credits earned towards the 150-unit CPA licensing requirements. Students who want to pursue other concentration areas, such as Applied Management, acquire communication and leadership skills and have the opportunity to participate in an experiential class where they consult for real clients.
The W.A. Franke College of Business at NAU partners with organizations, such as Dignity Health Global Education, to offer the custom concentration under our Organizational Partnerships – Online Campus.
Earn your degree alongside your colleagues, right in your own community!
This program is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
Requirements Accordion Open
To receive a master’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete a planned group of courses from one or more subject areas, consisting of at least 30 units of graduate-level courses. (Many master’s degree programs require more than 30 units.)
You must additionally complete:
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s). This may include a thesis.
- All graduate work with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0.
- All work toward the master’s degree must be completed within six consecutive years. The six years begins with the semester and year of admission to the program.
Overview Accordion Closed
In addition to University Requirements:
- Complete individual plan requirements.
|Minimum Units for Completion||30|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 119|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.|
|Additional Fees/Program Fees||Required|
|Progression Plan Link||View Program of Study|
|Accelerated Undergraduate/Graduate Plan||Optional|
The Northern Arizona University Masters in Business Administration (MBA) program prepares students with the necessary management, consulting, and leadership skills required for a successful career in the global business environment.
Experienced and dedicated faculty and teaching professionals create an invigorating, experiential, and personalized learning experience in a diverse learning environment through lectures, case studies, and partnerships with various organizations. Our graduates will gain deeper knowledge, experience and understanding in the disciplines of accounting, finance, economics, management, marketing, strategy and more. Experiential learning opportunities in conjunction with practical classroom instruction will provide each MBA student with the confidence and integrative business skills necessary to successfully manage and lead organizations in today’s dynamic global business environment.
As a result, our MBA program graduates have several ways to advance their careers. Our graduates gain knowledge and understanding that each organization is unique and is comprised of an integrated set of functional activities. This makes our MBA graduates attractive and competitive prospects for advancement into managerial and leadership positions within their current organizations. Furthermore, the skills and experience acquired through the NAU MBA program enables our graduates to pivot and change careers or launch a new career, whether here in the United States or abroad. For MBA graduates with a passion for entrepreneurialism, we will prepare them with the foundation of business skills required to successfully pursue their ambitions. Additionally, the NAU MBA experience offers our students extraordinary opportunities to network; building and maintaining relationships with their student cohort, faculty, alumni and very importantly, with industry, business and community leaders. Through networking and relationship building, our graduates develop connections and professional relationships to support them in advancing their careers. Importantly, our tuition is extremely competitive, providing our graduates with a very attractive return on investment.
The NAU MBA program format provides for both an in-person and online instructional format. In-person, our students are immersed in an accelerated, 30-credit program which is completed in approximately 10 months. This program is offered at our beautiful and scenic campus in Flagstaff, AZ. The in-person program consists of core courses where students come together as a cohort, acquiring fundamental business knowledge and skills required to succeed in today’s highly competitive global business environment. Furthermore, students may select elective courses that align with their individual career aspirations. For example, our accounting concentration affords students the opportunity to earn credits toward the 150-unit CPA licensing requirement. Students who want to pursue other concentration areas, such as Applied Management, acquire both business analytics and leadership skills through consulting engagements with external clients.
Our online program is designed to offer individuals the flexibility to pursue an MBA while continuing to work or maintaining other commitments. An example is our partnership with organizations such as Dignity Health Global Education (DHGE), offering a customized healthcare concentration.
Both the in-person and online formats are well-suited for early-career individuals and working professionals who aspire to further develop their business knowledge and skills in support of their career objectives in a flexible, personalized and diverse learning environment.
Student Learning Outcomes
The MBA experience in the FCB prepares graduates for professional and managerial careers in business organizations. It also provides a foundation for continuing professional and further graduate education. Each MBA will be competent in the general areas of strategic integrative thinking, ethics and social responsibility, global and business environment awareness, professional self-management skills and communication.
Strategic Integrative Thinking: MBAs should apply integrative frameworks reflecting appropriate functional knowledge to identify issues and problems, generate alternatives, and develop logical solutions for complex business situations. Solutions should be supported by relevant analysis and decision model selection.
Ethics and Social Responsibility: MBAs can demonstrate the ability to identify ethical dilemmas and be able to recognize and evaluate alternative courses of actions.
Global and Business Environment Awareness: MBAs are able to apply a global perspective to business environment and management issues facing enterprises engaged in international operations.
Professional Self-Management Skills: MBA s should display professional demeanor through confidence, courtesy, appearance and a proactive approach to work and career. They should build effective working relationships and pursue opportunities for self-improvement by developing networking and feedback resources.
Communication: MBAs can communicate effectively in written and oral formats for a variety of purposes, situations and audiences. Additionally, students can communicate effectively as both individuals and as part of a group presentation.
In addition to the above learning outcomes common to both the full-time and the MBA program in partnership with Dignity Health Global Education (DHGE), the following learning outcome is added to the Dignity MBA program measuring outcome specific to healthcare:
Masters in Business Administration (Healthcare concentration) graduates will be able to:
- Apply the core concepts, theories, and principles of different business disciplines, independently as well as interactively to problem solve and make effective decisions in a healthcare context.
- Demonstrate understanding of the healthcare context including (but not limited to) the impact of regulatory, industry, environmental, and competitive forces on the healthcare industry.
Details Accordion Closed
Additional Admission Requirements
- Admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
- NAU Graduate Online application is required for all programs. Details on admission requirements are included in the online application.
- Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A"), or the equivalent.
- Admission to many graduate programs is on a competitive basis, and programs may have higher standards than those established by the Graduate College.
- For details on graduate admission policies, please visit the Graduate Admissions Policy
- International applicants have additional admission requirements. Please see the International Graduate Admissions Policy
Individual program admission requirements include:
- The MBA Admissions Committee takes a holistic approach to candidate evaluation with consideration of academic ability, leadership qualities, communication and interpersonal skills, relevant professional experience, potential for career growth, and motivation for success. No particular undergraduate major is necessary for students applying to the MBA program. Instead, candidates must demonstrate competency in background business subjects if they do not have a foundational business background.
- All applicants will conduct a review of their previous coursework and professional experience in consultation with the graduate coordinator and identify whether additional foundation courses are necessary for the students’ future program success, particularly if additional foundation courses in business and math are necessary for the students’ future program success. Foundation courses are considered part of the program of study, and must be successfully completed before enrollment in MBA core or elective courses.
- Reference form with contact information for two references
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Responses to specific essay questions
This Master’s degree requires 30-36 units distributed as follows:
- Healthcare Option - Dignity Health Partnership (36 units) OR
- Full-Time Master's Option (30 units)
- Core Courses: 18 units
- Select a Concentration: 12 units
- Accounting Concentration
- Applied Management Concentration
- Custom Concentration
Take the following 30 - 36 units
Select One Option:
Healthcare Option - Dignity Health Partnership (36 units)
- BA 521, BA 609, BA 610, BA 612, BA 644, BA 649, BA 657, BA 658, BA 660, BA 665, BA 690, BA 691 (36 units)
Full-Time Master's Option (30 units)
Accounting Concentration (MBA- ACC) (12 units)
Prepares students to receive necessary hours for the CPA exam.
Applied Management Concentration (MBA) (12 units)
Provides learning and hands-on experience that enables students to enter the workforce with an advanced skill set.
Custom Concentration (12 units)
- In consultation with your advisor, select electives that support your chosen field of study.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also take. For prerequisite information click on the course or see your advisor.
Accelerated Bachelor's to Master's Program
This program is available as an Accelerated Undergraduate/Graduate Plan. Accelerated Programs provide the opportunity for outstanding undergraduates working on their bachelor’s degree to simultaneously begin work on a master’s degree. Departments may allow students to complete both degrees in an accelerated manner by approving up to 12 units applicable toward both degrees. Students must apply to the accelerated program and the master’s program by the application deadline, and meet all requirements as listed on the Accelerated Bachelor's to Master's Programs to be considered for admission. Admission to programs is competitive and qualified applicants may be denied because of limits on the number of students admitted each year. Be sure to speak with your advisor regarding your interest in Accelerated Programs.
- PROGRAM FEE INFORMATION
Program fees are established by the Arizona Board of Regents (ABOR). A program fee of $3500 per semester has been approved for this program.