Marketing, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
Department of Management, Marketing, and Information Systems
We designed this degree for those students who want to be a part of building relationships between businesses and customers. Students will complete coursework related to understanding customer behaviors, research and analysis, communication and sales, and marketing strategy. Students choose a certificate (business or non-business) or minor.
This program is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
To receive a bachelor’s degree at Northern Arizona University, you must complete at least 120 units of credit that minimally includes a major, the liberal studies requirements, and university requirements as listed below.
- All of Northern Arizona University’s diversity, liberal studies, junior-level writing, and capstone requirements.
- All requirements for your specific academic plan(s).
- At least 30 units of upper-division courses, which may include transfer work.
- At least 30 units of coursework taken through Northern Arizona University, of which at least 18 must be upper-division courses (300-level or above). This requirement is not met by credit-by-exam, retro-credits, transfer coursework, etc.
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 on all work attempted at Northern Arizona University.
The full policy can be viewed here.
In addition to University Requirements:
- At least 46 units of business core requirements
- At least 24 units of major requirements
- At least 15 units of a certfticate or at least 18 units of a minor
- Up to 9 units of major prefix courses may be used to satisfy Liberal Studies requirements; these same courses may also be used to satisfy major requirements.
- Elective courses, if needed, to reach an overall total of at least 120 units.
Students may be able to use some courses to meet more than one requirement. Contact your advisor for details.
|Minimum Units for Completion||120|
|Highest Mathematics Required||MAT 121|
|Additional Admission Requirements||Required|
|University Honors Program||Optional|
|AZ Transfer Students complete AGEC-B||Recommended|
|Progression Plan Link||View Progression Plan|
|Minor or Certificate Required|
A minor or certificate is required for this major.
The mission of the FCB marketing program is to educate and develop students to be capable of meeting their individual potential, as well as meeting the needs of employers and society. Students of the marketing program will be able to contribute to organizations with knowledge of marketing tactics and strategy for non-profit and for-profit companies. In NAU’s marketing program, students will learn how to develop a marketing plan including:
- understanding consumer behavior and the buying process;
- conducting market research;
- developing communication strategies;
- how best to make products and services accessible to customers;
- leveraging technology to manage data and improve business decision making
Student Learning Outcomes
MARKETING KNOWLEDGE: students should be able to demonstrate an understanding of fundamental marketing concepts and apply that knowledge to business situations.
- Define market segmentation, target marketing, marketing mix and positioning. Identify segmentation variables and use them to describe target markets. Explain how a marketing mix is supporting an organization’s positioning and goals.
- Identify, describe and apply consumer behavior concepts and discuss the implications for marketing practices.
- Apply customer relationship concepts to marketing planning, strategy and recommendations for profit and non-profit organizations.
- Discuss the role of data in decision making and explain how marketing research is conducted and used for marketing decisions.
- Identify and describe the components of a marketing plan.
- Analyze and evaluate business situations, identify problems and offer useful marketing recommendations.
- Evaluate a business situation (profit and non-profit organizations) and utilize marketing knowledge and skills to prepare and/or adjust a marketing strategy.
- Analyze customer behavior and purchase data to discover relationships, build associations, and gain insights to provide informed marketing decisions.
- Develop professional presentation materials and visuals
- Demonstrate ability to clearly present ideas that generate audience interest.
- Explain and clarify in response to questions.
- Collaborate appropriately with team members.
- Utilize on-line reporting systems, data mining and data warehousing techniques.
- Use customer behavior and purchase data to create dashboards containing visual displays of marketing/sales data.
Additional Admission Requirements
Individual program admission requirements over and above admission to NAU are required.
Admission to Northern Arizona University qualifies you for admission into the preprofessional program in The W. A. Franke College of Business. You must meet the following requirements to enter our professional programs:
- Complete at least 56 units with a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 or better.
- Complete the following courses with a grade of “C” or better in each course:
- Complete six (6) different Pathways experiences (one pathway credit must be the Career Steps online module). Transfer students who have met all of the requirements listed above need to complete four (4) Pathways experiences (one pathway credit must be the Career Steps online module) during their first semester in The W. A. Franke College of Business.
- If you have a 2.75 GPA in these courses and have satisfactorily completed Pathways activities designated by The W. A. Franke College of Business, we guarantee your acceptance into our professional program. If your average is less than a 2.75 but you have at least a 2.5 and have satisfactorily completed all designated Pathways activities, we admit you into the professional program on a space-available basis according to the rank order of your grade point average in these courses.
- If you are in the preprofessional program and have completed all required courses with “C” or better, but have a GPA in those courses that is below the acceptable grade point average for admission to the professional program, you may repeat up to two of the required courses in which you earned a “C” to meet the minimum GPA requirement. You may only repeat a required course in which you earned a grade of “C” one time.
This major requires at least 85 units distributed as follows:
- Business Core: 46 units
- Marketing Course Requirements: 24 units
- Certificate or Minor Requirement: 15-25 units
Business Core (46 units)
- ACC 205, ACC 255, ACC 256 (9 units)
- ECO 201, ECO 284, ECO 285 (9 units)
- FIN 311 (3 units)
- ISM 120, ISM 360 (6 units)
- MAT 121 (4 units)
- MGT 301, MGT 340 (6 units)
- MGT 490C which meets the senior capstone requirement (3 units)
- MKT 333, MGT 300 (6 units)
Marketing Course Requirements (24 units)
Certificate or Minor Requirement (15-25 units):
- A certificate within the W. A. Franke College of Business (15-21 units)
- A certificate outside the W. A. Franke College of Business (15-25 units)
- A minor outside the W. A. Franke College of Business (18-24 units)
These courses represent the General Academic Requirements (GAR) for The W. A. Franke College of Business. Some of these courses also fulfill liberal studies requirements.
For information about the overlap between the GAR and liberal studies, consult an advisor in Room 222 of the college.
Students enrolled in this plan may not enroll in or pursue the following due to the number of overlapping units:
- Marketing, Undergraduate Certificate
Additional coursework is required if, after you have met the previously described requirements, you have not yet completed a total of 120 units of credit.
You may take these remaining courses from any of the academic areas, using these courses to pursue your specific interests and goals. You may also use prerequisites or transfer credits as electives if they weren’t used to meet major, minor, or liberal studies requirements.
We encourage you to consult with your advisor to select the courses that will be most advantageous to you.
- That you must complete at least 15 units in your major and 9 units of the upper-division business core at The W. A. Franke College of Business (FCB).
- You must earn 50% of your overall business units required for your degree at the FCB.
- All transfer credits must be approved by the FCB and are subject to guidelines listed in the current general catalog. The FCB does not accept upper-division transfer credits from programs not accredited by the AACSB (such as the University of Phoenix or the Bachelor of Business Administration program at NAU-Yuma).
- Students must complete the following courses at the FCB: MGT 490C (Business Strategy) and the junior-level writing requirement (if filled by MGT 350W (Business Communication)). Students who satisfy the junior writing requirement with ENG 302W (Technical Writing) must complete that course at Northern Arizona University.
You must have completed all of the coursework used to fulfill these requirements within the last 10 years.
Be aware that some courses may have prerequisites that you must also successfully complete. For prerequisite information, click on the course or see your advisor.