Students seeking forestry degrees can explore scholarship options
Scholarships are a great way to help offset the cost of tuition for students earning a degree in forestry.
Visit the NAU Office of Student and Financial Aid web page for scholarship opportunities available from the university and for other financing options.
School of Forestry scholarships
The School of Forestry has over 50 endowed scholarships that are awarded to forestry program students annually. Many of these are listed on our donors page.
How do I apply?
- Applications will be sent by email starting in November.
- Most of our scholarships require completion of a one page scholarship application. Others require more information. For further details please watch your NAU inbox for the January emails as referenced above.
- All applications are due February 15, except for the Hafen and Kirk Smith Scholarships, which are due February 6.
What are the criteria for being awarded a scholarship?
- Common themes among scholarships are having a GPA above 2.5 or 3.0; being a full-time student; qualifying for need-based financial aid (i.e. grants or work-study); and being a certain year in school (i.e. junior or higher). There are many other categories as well.
- You must be a declared Forestry major to qualify for all Forestry scholarships.
How can I make my scholarship application more competitive?
- Fill it out completely.
- Make sure your application is legible and free from typos or other grammar mistakes. If we can’t read it, we can’t consider it.
- List any type of leadership, volunteer, or community service involvement. Think of all areas of your life, not just school. Service to a church or other volunteer organization and leadership in clubs or other activities are great things to include. Work experience is also a great place to show leadership.
- Turn your application in on time. Late scholarship applications will not be considered.
Scholarship posting instructions
If you would like to post a scholarship opportunity for current students, please email us at ForestryPostAScholarship@nau.edu. Whenever possible, please attach an informational document/flyer (doc, pdf, etc.) regarding the scholarship. If an informational document is not available, please make sure we have the following information:
- a link to more information on the scholarship or an informational flyer
- application deadline for the scholarship
- contact information for students who have more questions