Youth forestry programs at NAU
The School of Forestry offers environmental education for children ages 9-16
The vision of the Centennial Forest Environmental Education Programs is to have fun while connecting kids to the forest and the natural world. Through these forestry programs, campers gain the knowledge to teach others about environmental stewardship, land ethics, and forest health and experience the world in a new way.
Not only do kids learn about forestry and environmental science, they also learn about exciting forestry career opportunities managing and caring for our nation’s natural resources.
Forestry summer camp programs for 9-16 year olds
Counselors and staff of NAU’s youth forestry programs
All of our counselors and staff are:
- alumni of, or are currently attending, Arizona universities
- studying such diverse fields as forestry, education, environmental science, parks and recreation management, communications, and health professions
- trained in CPR/First Aid
- specially selected to serve as good role models for campers
Our incredibly low ratio of adults to campers (1:7) allows for the increased quality of supervision and learning experiences. In addition, a camp nurse is on site every day to monitor the health of campers, administer medications, and provided that little extra TLC when needed.
Goals and objectives
The overall goals and objectives of our programs are to:
- Introduce kids to the wonder, beauty, and importance of forests and how our natural world influences their current lives and career paths.
- Provide integrated, hands-on lessons and activities that incorporate math, reading, writing, art and critical thinking skills that lead to creative and thoughtful discussions.
- Teach kids strong land ethic and stewardship skills by “putting them in the shoes” of a professional forester, scientist and outdoor leader.
- Develop a spirit of community service by integrating community service and critical forest health projects into the learning experience.
- Provide a fun and engaging learning experience that encourages kids to become active in their communities and schools.
Donate to our programs
Your support helps us provide forestry programs for children
The NAU Centennial Forest Environmental Education Programs depend on grants and donations to operate. This generous support provides invaluable scholarships for families that would not normally be able to afford to send their children to camp. You can help by giving to Centennial Forest Environmental Education Programs online.
Thank you for donating to a wonderful cause! If you have any questions about donating to the NAU Centennial Forest Environmental Education Programs, please contact us at Yeon-Su.Kim@nau.edu