NAU1stGEN Social Media Takeover
The First-Generation Programs team has an established social media schedule for the Fall 2020 semester. We have availability and want current first-gen students to participate in social media takeovers. This gives you an opportunity to share a more authentic experience of life as a first-gen student at NAU.
- My Life in 5
- Day in the Life (what one day at NAU looks like for you)
- Resources on campus
- Promote an event on campus
- Promote an activity in the First-Generation Pathways program (Suitable/Your Path@NAU)
- Student Club spotlight
- Places to explore in Flagstaff or hiking/scenic views in Arizona
- Sharing what you have learned through one of the First-Generation student programs (First Scholars, TRIO SSS, Blavin Scholars, STAR, First-Generation Pathways, First-Gen Workshop Series)
- Share your first-gen story and your encouragement to other first-gen students
Try to keep a lens on your first-gen identity or the first-gen community while you cover one of the general themes.
- It is recommended to post a photo first to announce your takeover
- Think through lighting and a quiet space so people can see and hear you
- Use hashtags (#nau1stgen, #FirstGenFriday, #TRIOWorks, #NAU, #FirstGenProud, etc.) and/or tag other NAU departments when appropriate.
- If doing a story takeover, keep the posts around 5-8 stories.
- If taking a group photo, please keep in mind the current NAU and CDC recommendations. Also, due to FERPA, it is best to ask your friends if they are comfortable being in the photo.
- Keep in mind that some viewers may not be familiar with campus, so we recommend you explain things that may seem familiar to the NAU community.
- Videos for Instagram should be less than 15 seconds; include an intro, middle, and clear ending.
- Have fun, be positive and friendly, use appropriate language
In order to receive points in the First-Gen Pathways program – YourPath@NAU, you will need to upload the email confirmation as an attachment in the task. The Program Coordinator will approve the points after your IG Takeover is complete.
Please do not share the IG login password and understand we have the right to delete a post if we find something inappropriate. There is no reason to go live unless we give permission and we ask you do not change any account settings. Adhere to the NAU student code of conduct and any local laws (e.g. no videos while driving). We invite you to ask questions about your content. We will be monitoring posts, stories, and messages.