ACASI Volunteer Opportunities
ACASI offers volunteer opportunities to community members so that you can be apart of our mission to serve survivors of intimate partner homicide. We hope you reach out to us with your interest!
Volunteer opportunities include:
- One-on-one mentoring
- Assisting with peer support groups
- Coordination of holiday and special events
We also have special volunteer roles for mental health providers, paralegals, and attorneys.
The Mentoring Program
A stable relationship with a caring, consistent adult helps build resiliency and predicts better outcomes for at-risk children and children who have experienced domestic violence. Volunteer mentors provide important supports to the children and caregivers ACASI serves.
Common questions about mentoring
Where does mentoring take place? Accordion Closed
ACASI serves clients throughout Arizona. Mentoring will almost always take place in the community where both the mentor and mentee lives.
What kinds of activities do mentors and mentees do together? Accordion Closed
Activities with the child may include simply spending a few hours a month listening, attending community events, helping with homework, spending time in a park, or playing fun and challenging games via virtual interactions.
What makes a good mentor? Accordion Closed
There are many qualities and characteristics that make a good mentor, including:
- a sincere desire to be involved with a child/young person
- respect for children/young people
- active listening skills
- ability to see solutions and opportunities
What are the requirements to be an ACASI mentor? Accordion Closed
ACASI volunteer requirements are:
- be 18 years of age or older
- complete and approved application
- possess a valid driver’s license (Unless volunteering for support groups, or site-based tutoring only)
- provide proof of auto insurance (Unless volunteering for support groups, or site-based tutoring only)
- successfully complete a fingerprint and criminal history background check (ACASI covers associated fees)
- no felony convictions in the past 10 years or serious driving offenses in the last three years
- provide references
- participate in an in-person interview
- own a cell phone and have internet access (Some exceptions may be considered)
- complete 12 hours of ACASI Volunteer Orientation & Training
- participate in on-going training
*please ask about the requirements for other volunteer roles
Is there a time commitment? Accordion Closed
Yes, there is a time commitment involved. Volunteer mentors commit to a nine-month relationship with a mentee. Mentors must dedicate 3-4 hours per month to visiting with the mentee. Other commitments include:
- Regular communication with mentee (in-person or by phone/electronically)
- Monthly communication with ACASI Volunteer Coordinator
- Participation in on-going ACASI Volunteer training
- Documentation of volunteer hours
Application Process Accordion Closed
Still interested in becoming an ACASI volunteer mentor?
- Complete the online application at https://casi.nau.edu/VolunteersPublic
- Once your application is received, an ACASI Volunteer Program Coordinator will contact you about your interest and provide more information.
- Approved applicants will be scheduled for a one-on-one interview with the ACASI Volunteer Coordinator. This typically takes about an hour.
- Successful candidates will participate in an initial orientation and training (approximately 12 hours).
- You will be provided information on how to obtain a background check and finger print check. Associated fees can be reimbursed by the ACASI program.
- ACASI will also conduct personal reference checks.
- Once the orientation training and background clearances are successfully completed, volunteers will be matched with a mentee.
- Volunteer your time and make a difference in a young person’s life!
- Mentors will receive on-going training and support for their role.
For additional information about ACASI’s volunteer mentoring program call 928-523-2119 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate you are interested in volunteering and tell us the county in which you would like to serve.