Free Application for Federal Student Aid


This is your first step in the financial aid process. Each year (starting October 1st) students should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid to see what they are eligible for from the federal government. Keep in mind that most schools have a priority deadline for the FAFSA. Call your school’s financial aid office and ask when their priority deadline is. The deadline does not mean you cannot file your FAFSA after this date, but you have the best chance of getting the most money from your school if you make the deadline. Visit the official FAFSA page and click “Start Here” to begin your FAFSA application on the web. 

What documents and information will I need to complete the FAFSA?

Completing the FAFSA requires some time and a few important documents. Before you sit down to complete the FAFSA, make sure you have your Social Security number, you Alien Registration number (if you are not a US citizen), your most recent federal income tax return, W-2s and any other records of money earned. If you plan on scheduling a one-on-one appointment with us to help you complete your FAFSA, please be sure to bring these documents so we can better assist you. You will also need to have an FSA ID. For more information on creating on FSA ID and collecting the documents you need to complete the FAFSA, please use the resources on this page.

What type of financial aid does the FAFSA offer?

Direct subsidized loans
Direct subsidized loans are awarded to undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need. Your school will determine the amount you can borrow and the amount cannot exceed your total financial need. The federal government will pay the interest on direct subsidized loans while you are in school, during the grace period (the six months after you graduate, and during deferment (a postponement of loan payments). 
Direct unsubsidized loans
Direct unsubsidized loans are awarded to both undergraduate and graduate students and are not dependent on financial need. The school will determine the amount you are able to borrow which will be based on your total costs for school and any other financial aid you receive. You are responsible for all interest that accrues from unsubsidized loans once they have disbursed. 
Federal Pell Grant
Undergraduate students are eligible to receive the Federal Pell Grant. The maximum amount changes yearly and the grant is awarded based on upon financial need, the total costs of school, your status as either full-time or part-time, and your plans to attend school for a full academic year or not. The Federal Pell Grant does not need to be repaid.
Federal Work-Study
Federal Work-Study is determined through financial need and both graduate and undergraduate students are eligible. Work-Study involves a part-time job while you are in school to help offset the costs of attending. Part-time and full-time students are eligible. The program is administered by the school's Federal Work-Study program. Contact your school for more information.

Where can I get help completing the FAFSA?

While the FAFSA may seem confusing at first, the good news is that there is plenty of resources for you. Visit the Federal Student Aid website for more information about any questions you may have. If you need help completing the FAFSA, give us a call and we can set up a one-on-one appointment where we will help you through every step of the way.