COE facts at-a-glance
- current enrollment: 3,364
- faculty: 105 full-time faculty
- average class size: 17
- 16 undergraduate degrees or certificates offered
- 36 graduate degrees or certificates offered
- 34 degrees and programs offered online or through 35 community campus sites throughout Arizona
- #1 nationally in Native American students earning a Master's degree
- #22 nationally in Hispanic students earning a Master's degree
- #23 nationally in total minority students earning a Master's degree
- See our past scholarships awarded
- outside externally funded research: $16,763,527
College Achievements & Figures
Take a deeper look: College of Education points of pride
Our numbers speak for themselves. We’re proud to share some of the things that make Northern Arizona University’s COE unique.
NAU’s College of Education ranks high on many national lists
Many of the academic programs in the College of Education have received national acclaim. COE is extremely proud of the following recent national rankings:
- NAU’s Educational Leadership program has been ranked by teachers.org as the 18th best program in the United States out of 560 qualifying colleges in 2016. Master’s in Education Administration.
- NAU ranked 19th among the top colleges and universities and 1st in Arizona for teacher preparation in 2016. Find the Best Accredited Online Teaching Programs for 2018.
- NAU ranks 8th in the United States for the number of Latino students earning an undergraduate degree in education and in the top 25 for earning a graduate education degree in 2016. Top 100 Producers of Minority Degrees.
- NAU ranks 10th in the United States for the number of Native Americans earning an undergraduate degree in education and 3rd in earning a graduate education degree. NAU also ranks 7th for all disciplines combined in the number of overall Native American graduates in 2016. Top 100 Producers of Minority Degrees.
- The Teaching, Learning and Early Childhood faculty at NAU were ranked 12th for the master’s degree in Early Childhood online program by best.colleges.com in 2017. Best Online Master’s in Early Childhood Education Programs.
- The counseling programs in Educational Psychology (Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling) at NAU were ranked #1 in Top Counseling Schools’ list of Best Value Master’s Counseling Degrees in Arizona for 2016. Top Value Counseling Master’s Degrees in Arizona.
- established: 1899
- type: public
- Dean: Ramona Mellott
- Associate Dean: Pamela Powell
- accreditation: please visit our accreditation page
Location (main campus)
- city: Flagstaff
- elevation: 7,000 feet
- average number of sunny days: 288
- mountain range: San Francisco Peaks
The College of Education works tirelessly all year to secure scholarship funds for our students. We have seen a dramatic increase in awards in the last few years.