NAU’s College of Education is a proud partner in this literacy program to benefit Flagstaff’s youth
America Reads is a national initiative, established by President Clinton in 1996, designed to ensure that every child learns to read well and independently by the end of third grade. Research shows that if children cannot read well by this time, their chances for success shrink. The NAU America Reads program, which is run through the College of Education at NAU, places federal work-study college students in schools and community centers to assist children with their literacy skills in the hopes of fulfilling this challenge.
Our Mission Accordion Closed
- Giving young children a firm literacy basis.
- Assisting those children who lack the motivation and/or resources to learn to read, by helping them learn to read well and independently.
- Boosting the self-esteem and reading levels of students who are behind grade level.
- Using our unique position in the classroom to be positive role models, and granting children the one-on-one attention they need to succeed in school.
- Spreading a positive attitude towards education and reading.
Become an America Reads tutor Accordion Closed
Looking for tutors who:
- Are eligible for Federal Work Study
- Have a minimum 3.0 GPA
- Have availability in the morning or after area school hours
- Are positive, team players, and show initiative
- Love working with children!
What we offer:
- Starting pay at $12/hour with .50 cents per semester raise
- Relevant training and professional development
- Philanthropy projects (fundraising/community service)
- Free transportation to elementary schools around Flagstaff
Apply online at NAU Handshake. Please carefully read the description and instructions to apply.
Tutors are hired at the beginning of each term.
Placement Information Accordion Closed
Placements are made at schools within the Flagstaff, Arizona area. Tutors will be trained in phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary building, spelling, reading comprehension, fluency, and positive behavior support strategies. Additionally, tutors may be taught to work with basic K-5 math concepts. Shift options may vary based on site availability and course schedules.
America Reads Partners:
- Boys and Girls Club
- DeMiguel FACTS
- FACTS: Family and Community Teaching for Students
- Family Resource Center
- Flagstaff Public Library
- Killip Elementary
- Kinsey Elementary
- Kinsey K-21
- Knoles Elementary
- Knoles FACTS
- Literacy Volunteers
- Lura Kinsey Elementary School
- Puente Elementary
- Sechrist Elementary
- Sechrist FACTS
- Thomas Elementary
Free Tutoring at the Flagstaff Public Library Accordion Closed
America Reads will be providing our free after school tutoring program for the 2019/2020 school year, for grades K-5 at the Flagstaff City-Coconino County Public Library. Please remember that in order for your child to obtain all the benefits of this program, he/she must be signed up for at least twice weekly tutoring sessions and abide by the Flagstaff City Coconino-County Public Library policies.
Applications can be found in the Youth’s Section of the Flagstaff Public Library.
Feel free to contact the America Reads office with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet the Program Coordinators Accordion Closed
- From Brownsville, Texas
- BA in Interdisciplinary studies and Elementary Education
- Pursuing MEd School Counseling and Licensed Professional Counseling Candidate
- 5 years of teaching experience
- From Winona, Minnesota
- BS Psychology with Child Development and Family Studies
- Pursuing EdS School Psychology with Board Certified Behavioral Analyst Certificate
- Class of 2019 Minnesota State University – Mankato