The Center for International Education at NAU
Working with global partners towards a more sustainable world
Leaders United for Positive Energy (LUPE)—A 100,000 Strong in the Americas initiative is a partnership among:
- Northern Arizona University
- Universidad Tecnologica de Hermosillo (Hermosillo, Mexico)
- Universidad Nacional de Tucuman (Tucuman, Argentina)
- Universidad Nacional de Tierra del Fuego (Ushuaia, Argentina)
- Centro Austral de Investigaciones Cientificas (Ushuaia, Argentina)
Exploring ways to improve the global mining sector
In October 2019, NAU hosted Leaders United for Positive Energy (LUPE), a one-week interdisciplinary learning course that aimed to uncover sustainable, ethical industry practices and develop future scientists and leaders of the energy sector. The course specifically explored the science, development of policy, social justice issues, and industry best practices related to mining. The program was possible by means of a grant awarded to NAU through the 100,000 Strong in the Americas Innovation Fund – an initiative led by Partners of the Americas, the U.S. State Department, and NAFSA.
Leaders United for Positive Energy brought together 16 students and four faculty members from NAU, one HEI in Mexico, and three institutions in Argentina.
The following video explains more about this unique collaboration.