Sponsored student services
The office of International Student Scholar Services (ISSS) at the Center for International Education provides specialized services for students and scholars who are sponsored by various organizations, institutions and governments. This specialized support serves as a central point of contact and liaison between Northern Arizona University and sponsoring agencies.
We help facilitate:
- Serving as the main contact for sponsors and their students
- Simplifying university processes for students and their sponsors
- Assisting with Third Party Billing services and other financial related issues
- Identifying and developing relationships with prospective sponsoring agencies
- Liaison on health insurance waiver requests
- Maintaining outstanding relationships with all current sponsoring agencies
- Immigration Status
- Academic and Enrollment Support
- Letters for Financial Sponsors
Please visit our iNAU services page for all letter requests.
If you have any further questions or comments, please contact us at:
Center for International Education
Northern Arizona University
P.O. Box 5598 (Blome, bldg #2)
Flagstaff, AZ 86011
Telephone: (928) 523-1520
Fax: (928) 523-9489
Financial Guarantees Accordion Closed
What is a financial guarantee?
A financial guarantee is your financial documentation from your Sponsoring Agency/ Government/ Program Manager that provides proof that they will pay for your tuition and mandatory fees.
Important information about financial guarantees
- Your financial guarantee must be valid at all times with your correct major in LOUIE. If anything does not match, your guarantee is not valid. ISSS recommends you review your financial guarantee every semester and keep a copy with you for your records.
- It is the financial guarantee holder’s responsibility to make sure your Financial Guarantee is valid at all times.
- You must provide the ISSS (International Student & Scholar Services) at CIE with an updated copy of your FG to make sure it is applied to your LOUIE account.
- A Prospective Financial Guarantee is not valid for tuition, only admission.
Health insurance Accordion Closed
Important sponsored student health insurance information
Every NAU student is provided health insurance through the university plan, but if you are sponsored by a embassy/cultural mission and we have valid proof of sponsorship we can waive your insurance for you each semester.
Important information about health insurance
- In order to qualify for waiver you must provide an updated financial guarantee (this proves your insurance is still active). If you do not have a valid financial guarantee, then you may not qualify for waiver.
- Health Insurance waivers MUST be done within the first 45 days of the semester; otherwise you may have to pay the NAU insurance charge for the semester.
- ISSS will do two waivers at the beginning of Spring and Fall semesters. After 45 days into the semester, we will not request waivers for health insurance.
- Health Insurance can be difficult to understand, please check with your sponsor for information about your specific insurance plan. ISSS also offers workshops on understanding health insurance in the United States.
Transcripts and verification of enrollment Accordion Closed
You must submit official transcripts and proof of enrollment to your Cultural Mission.
Important information about official transcripts and verification of enrollment
- ISSS will send your official transcripts at the end of each semester to your Cultural Mission. You must make sure that you have no holds in your account for the transcript to be released.
- If your Cultural Mission needs proof of change of major or that you are enrolled, please visit Gammage Building and request Verification of Enrollment. This is the official document from the university confirming your registration.
Online and hybrid enrollment Accordion Closed
Can I take online and blended learning classes?
Every sponsor is different and may have different requirements. Before you enroll in any online or blended learning course, please check with your sponsor to see if the course is allowed.
- Please check with ISSS about immigration regulations concerning online coursework as well
- Blended learning courses do not have any implications on your immigration status
Important information about online and hybrid enrollment
- Please check with your cultural mission before enrolling in Online or Hybrid coursework. Your government may have rules regarding these types of courses. In many cases, they will not pay for these types of courses without getting them pre-approved.
- Be aware that all international students are limited in online coursework for a full time academic load.
Academics Accordion Closed
There are several important notes to know about your academic life here at Northern Arizona University.
Important information about academics
- You are here in the United States on a student immigration status (visa); attendance and participation are vital to your success here.
- Academic Progress is a requirement of your student immigration status. You must be making normal progress at all times or you could face immigration issues. ISSS and your department monitor your progress.
- Changes of Major effect your immigration and your financial status. All major changes must be approved by your new department and ISSS. Please visit your advisor and ISSS before making any changes.
- Please check your NAU email frequently and respond to emails. All official email is sent through your NAU account. If you do not check, you will miss critical academic and immigration information.
Immigration Accordion Closed
Where can I find information about immigration?
Maintaining your immigration status is very important so don’t be afraid to visit the ISSS for help or information.
Important information about immigration
- Each student is responsible for maintaining their immigration status at Northern Arizona University, ISSS is here to advise and help you.
- Do not take immigration advice from anyone except ISSS or immigration lawyers. We are always available to help you with questions.
- Always keep your address updated in LOUIE. Immigration regulations require student’s to provide updated address in LOUIE within 10 days.
ISSS Recommendations Accordion Closed
Tips from ISSS
- Get involved on campus in clubs and activities. This will help your language and social skills.
- Use the academic resources on campus (most are free) if you feel you are having a difficult time with academics.
- Please don’t wait to visit ISSS if you are having problems, we will always help you or point you in the right direction.