International Friends Program
The International Friends Program (iFriends) seeks to connect Northern Arizona University international students with domestic students for an intercultural experience.
Community organizations and the Center for International Education also sponsor activities for the participants, such as:
- Ice skating
- Holiday parties
Get matched with an iFriend
Students are paired at the beginning of each semester. Partners are matched primarily by age, gender (same-sex), interests, and languages spoken. If you have a particular country or language preference for your partner we will try to accommodate that, but we cannot guarantee your preference.
Partners are encouraged to:
- Attend activities sponsored by community organizations and the Center for International Education
- Contact each other by phone or email at least once every two weeks
- Get together at least once a month
Partner activities may include:
- Going to the gym
- Going out for coffee or ice cream
- Attending campus events
iFriends provides international students with:
- Local support and a contact person in Flagstaff when they encounter difficulties or have questions
- An opportunity to learn more about American culture
- A great chance to improve English skills
American participants, in turn, learn about their international friend’s culture and language and become acquainted with many other countries by participating in events with other iFriends partners.
Please email ISSS@nau.edu. We will send you a link to our electronic sign-up form.