- Nursing programs in Yuma, Tucson, Flagstaff, North Phoenix, and Fort Defiance
- Online programs leading the nation in innovation and flexibility
- Online Nurse Practitioner program ranked #5 (Affordable Colleges Online)
- Master of Science in Nursing program ranked #16 (RN to BSN Online Programs)
- Physical Therapy program ranked #40 (U.S. News and World Report)
- 99.2% pass rate for the National Physical Therapy Examination
- 100% DPT student employment rate
- The Center for Health Equity Research received a $21 million dollar grant from the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities
- Dental Hygiene clinic providing care to residents, including patients on the Hopi reservation and in K12 schools
- Dental Hygiene awarded the Provost Award for Excellence in Global Learning in 2014 and 2018
- Speech-Language Pathology program in the top half of programs in the country (U.S. News and World Report)
- Speech-language-hearing clinic with a full range of services
- Health Sciences offers programs in Allied Health, Fitness-Wellness, Nutrition and Foods, Physical Education, and Public Health
- Our Online Bachelor’s in Health Sciences was recognized as one of the top in the nation by Bestcolleges.com
- In Fall of 2018, we’re offering a graduate degree in Public Health and Nutrition
- New Ph.D. program in Interdisciplinary Health
- First doctorate in Occupational Therapy in AZ
- Our Physician Assistant Studies program focuses on preparing students to work in rural and underserved communities
- 52% of PA students took their first job in a medically underserved or rural community
- 65% of PA students took their first job in primary care
- 96% of PA graduates stay in Arizona to practice
- First time pass rates for the PA licensure exam between 96-100%
- Athletic Training offers a graduate degree, and a 3 + 2 accelerated program
- The SHOW Clinic provides services to the homeless in downtown Phoenix
Office of the Dean
NAU’s College of Health and Human Services
Welcome to the College of Health and Human Services (CHHS) at Northern Arizona University! Our mission is to prepare students to become, and remain, excellent health professionals. The college aims to facilitate high quality learning and education, to advance knowledge and practice in the health professions, and to provide service to improve the health and well-being of the communities served, particularly Arizona residents, Native Americans and individuals considered disadvantaged.
We are the third largest (and fastest growing) college at NAU, with over 4,800 students and 150 faculty members. Our programs are offered throughout the state of Arizona and the country, and we serve students using online and face-to-face modalities. Thirteen (13) of our programs are accredited by their national governing bodies, and our students provide over 539,132 hours per year to the underserved.
Undergraduate programs in Flagstaff include Allied Health (degree completion programs such as Paramedic Care, Surgical Technology, etc.), Dental Hygiene, Fitness-Wellness, Nursing, Nutrition and Foods, Physical Education, Public Health, and Speech-Language Sciences and Technology.
Graduate programs include Communication Sciences and Disorders and Nursing in Flagstaff, Athletic Training and Physical Therapy in Flagstaff and at the Phoenix Biomedical Campus, and Occupational Therapy and Physician Assistant Studies at the Phoenix Biomedical Campus.
As a student in any of the majors in CHHS, you will be part of a nationally recognized, student-centered college that strives for excellence in teaching, research, and service. Our students, faculty, and staff are high achievers who are at the forefront of their discipline.
Northern Arizona University and the College of Health and Human Services are poised to provide you with an unparalleled education that challenges and connects your mind and body within a pristine outdoor environment located in close proximity to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and Phoenix. If you are interested in joining us, or reconnecting with us if you are a CHHS graduate, please call or email us. We would be happy to talk with you about the many life-enriching benefits of graduating with a degree from the College of Health and Human Services at Northern Arizona University.
Roger Bounds, PhD
College of Health & Human Services
Roger Bounds, PhD
Debbie Craig, PhD, ATC, LAT