Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice in CEIAS
Mindful of the practices, behaviors, and beliefs historically present in STEM fields, CEIAS stands committed to removing institutional barriers that may prevent participation from underrepresented groups. We recognize these barriers as a disservice both to Engineering, Informatics, and Applied Sciences and to individuals who may feel discouraged from participating in these fields. As such, CEIAS is taking action to ensure a more inclusive atmosphere, while continually striving to improve policies and procedures that reflect this ideology and encourage collaboration between individuals with unique perspectives.
In our diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice efforts, we are committed to the following:
- Advocating for an environment of inclusion and respect in and out of the classroom.
- Assessing, developing, and implementing strategies focused on generating purposeful support of underrepresented students.
- Increasing support and implementing strategies to recruit underrepresented faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Adopting accurate and reliable evaluation and assessment methods and metrics for diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Creating an understanding and appreciation of how diversity and inclusion are implemented within CEIAS.
These values and proposed actions are described in further detail in the CEIAS Diversity Strategic Plan. We encourage suggestions on how to advance our efforts regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion. If you have thoughts or comments, please feel free to contact us.
For current and ongoing events please check out Equal Partners in Inclusive Community (EPIC)