“Dark Skies”: NAU’s Inaugural Game Jam!
Are you an Arizona-based high school sophomore or junior aspiring to develop your own games? Well, Northern Arizona University is proud to announce its’ first-ever gamejam, made in celebration of our new Immersive Media and Games degree program, and we are seeking individuals just like yourself to compete! Beginning on July 22nd at 9AM, you and a team of 3 other individuals will have the opportunity to come to the NAU campus and compete against several other teams in a 32-hour sprint to produce the best Game Maker Studio game you can that fits under our “Dark Skies” theme, all with food and housing included! Excited? We thought you might be! Click on the “Apply Today!” button on the right to fill out our application e-form, or continue down this page to learn more about the jam!
Know someone who might be interested? Share our Dark Skies flyer with them so that they can apply to compete as well!
- High school sophomores and juniors are the only age groups that may apply.
- You may not create a team prior to the start of the jam. NAU faculty will curate teams of about 4 jammers each and ensure that teams are properly balanced based on the answers each jammer submits to the application questionnaire in order to make sure the competition is fair.
- Each team will have from 9AM July 22nd until 5PM July 23rd to produce their game.
- All teams will produce their game using Game Maker Studio.
- The game must be published using the HTML5 build and run locally, so no remote data access should be enabled.
- All of the game code and art should be developed during the jam, but you may use some pre-existing code and can use any art and audio assets you have the legal right to use.
- Your game must fit under the “Dark Skies” theme.
Who will judge the games? Accordion Closed
Games will be judged by the NAU faculty. We will pick winners in the following categories: Best Overall Game, Best Innovative Design, and People’s Choice Award.
Is there a Discord I can join? Accordion Closed
Yes! It will be made available to all jammers on July 1st and the link will posted to this webpage.
Am I responsible for my own housing and food while competing in the jam? Accordion Closed
Not at all! All jammers will have rooms to stay in overnight at NAU and food will be provided to all jammers through university dining.
What hardware do I need to bring? Accordion Closed
None at all! The jam will be held using NAU resources on the NAU campus, so you don’t need to bring any of your own hardware!
I’ve never used Game Maker Studio before, can I practice before the jam? Accordion Closed
Of course! Feel free to download Game Maker Studio and begin learning at any time.
Where can I find more information about building and publishing games to HTML5 with Game Maker? Accordion Closed
Yoyogames has a very helpful article with more details about building Game Maker games to HTML5.