Current openings within Campus Living
Thank you for your interest in a graduate assistant position with Campus Living! Northern Arizona University offers an exciting opportunity for those seeking a comprehensive and valuable experience in housing and student affairs. Our graduate assistant positions, as well as our full-time staff, work together to uphold the department’s mission and our value areas – Care & Support, Community & Connectedness, Equity & Inclusion, and Learning & Development.
We are currently hiring for multiple positions to join our dedicated, energetic, innovative and fun team. Ideal candidates will resonate with, reinforce, and help propel our mission and values through their collective and diverse experiences. The strength of our large, comprehensive department is a result of the commitment of our diverse, engaged, resilient and incredibly talented staff.
Campus Living Communities Graduate Assistant (CLC GA) Accordion Closed
Campus Living Community Graduate Assistants work directly with Campus Living Community Coordinators to supervise a staff of Community Assistants (CA) within an assigned community. With their direct supervisor, CLC GAs adjudicate conduct cases, assist with community operations, serve in an on-call rotation, and create an inclusive campus living community for all community members.
Campus Living Initiatives and Partnerships Graduate Assistant (CLIP GA) Accordion Closed
Campus Living Initiatives and Partnerships (CLIP) Graduate Assistants work directly with CLIP Coordinators and CLIP Peer Supporters within an assigned value area (Care & Support, Community & Connectedness, Equity & Inclusion, and Learning & Development) to create intentional programming for our campus living communities, as well as campus wide initiatives, programs, and projects.
What to expect
Application Process Accordion Closed
- The application is now open and will close on February 5, 2023, at 11:59 pm.
- The Campus Living GA application process begins with a candidate completing an application using the “Apply Now” link on this website
- Completed applications should include: Resume, Cover Letter, and completed HR Application. Minimum qualifications include an undergraduate bachelor’s degree (completed by start date).
- Graduate Assistants must be enrolled in a Graduate Program at NAU and have obtained an undergraduate degree prior to the start of appointment.
- Specific skills and attributes we are looking for:
- Knowledge of inclusive supervisory practices and principles
- Knowledge of planning and organizing events while assessing community needs
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to the obstacles and challenges faced by marginalized students
- Knowledge of crisis intervention and mediation strategies
- Knowledge of building needs and mindfulness of potential improvements; facilities management skills
- Timeline: Campus Living Graduate Assistantships applications generally open by the end of the fall semester and close mid-February. Offers are expected to be extended by the beginning of March, and all offers must be accepted by April 15, 2023.
- Going to the Oshkosh Placement Exchange? So are we and hope to see you there!
First Round Interviews Accordion Closed
- Candidates will be notified whether or not they have been selected to move forward in our process no later than February 9, 2023
- First round interviews will be 1- hour in length and via zoom interview. All questions are provided the day prior to the interview for candidate review.
Final Round Interviews Accordion Closed
- Candidates will be notified whether or not they will move forward to a final round interview.
- Final round interviews will be held via zoom or at the Oshkosh Placement Exchange for candidates attending OPE.
Reference Checks Accordion Closed
- Candidates selected to move forward will be contacted to confirm references so the GA Recruitment and Selection Committee can contact 3 of their references. Helpful references include: current/prior supervisors, current/prior supervisees, and current/prior colleagues.
Academic Year Overview Accordion Closed
Peak Times and Events that will be mandatory for all staff to attend
- Foundations Training for GA & full-time Staff – Mid-July
- Student Staff Training – Beginning to mid August
- Move in week – Mid to late August
- The Letters Event – The day before classes, late August
- Homecoming Week – Mid to late October
- Closing for Winter Break – Early to mid December
- January Student Staff Training – Early January
- End of Year Closing of the Communities – early to mid May
Note: GAs are off contract during university holidays and breaks such as: Thanksgiving, winter break, and spring break. For full information on peak times and when on contract, please review the position description.
Graduate Assistant Job Search Tips and Tricks Accordion Closed
- On your resume, please include any and all relevant information to ensure the Recruitment and Selection Committee can take into consideration your experiences as they begin the selection process.
- For more tips, check out NAU’s Career Development office!
Counseling – Student Affairs, Master of Education Program Accordion Closed
- Campus Living works with the Counseling and Student Affairs program at NAU to ensure our graduate assistants’ experiences align with their in-class learning. If you’re interested, check out their website for relevant dates and program descriptions.
- Note: Campus Living GAs work with students from several programs at the university! We strive to incorporate in-class learning with the experiences our GAs may have.