Professional Education Programs (PEP) overview
You must apply to the Professional Education Programs (PEP) once you are a declared CAL secondary education major. You can also use the link from the email you received when you declared this major.
After applying you must meet the major-specific criteria for PEP acceptance. Refer to the academic catalog for acceptance criteria and major requirements.
Identity Verified Prints (IVP) Fingerprint Clearance Card
All secondary education majors are required to have a valid IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card for practicum courses and student teaching. Refer to the fingerprint clearance card page for more information on how to order this card. Refer to the academic catalog for practicum and student teaching courses.
Faculty mentor and academic advisor contact information
Bachelor programs Accordion Closed
Building 37, room 308
Building 18, room 140D
Global Languages & Cultures
Building 23, room 208
History & Social Studies
Linda Sargent Wood
Building 18, room 313
Building 37, room 120C
Academic advising contact
Building 15, room 204C
Master programs Accordion Closed
Building 18, room 140D
Building 23, room 210
Yuly Ascencion Delaney
Building 23, room 202
Read more about other Professional Education requirements.
In order to declare a Music Major, you must apply and be accepted to the School of Music. Please visit the School of Music website.
Student teaching is a required course for all Secondary Education Majors. During your last semester, you will be in a classroom, applying the skills you have acquired throughout your education program, and supervised and evaluated by various educational professionals and instructors. All pre-requisites must be met before student teaching begins. For more information, visit the PEP website or contact your faculty mentor or your academic advisor in your major.
Student teaching criteria Accordion Closed
Before being accepted to student teaching, the following criteria must be met:
- Acceptance to the Professional Education Programs
- NAU GPA must be at least 2.5
- In all teacher preparation courses:
- no grade lower than a “C”
- Art, English, History Education majors: 3.0 GPA in the major
- Music and Language Education majors: 2.5 GPA in the major
- Complete all plan requirements
- All major coursework, with the exception of EDF 200 must be completed within the six years prior to student teaching
- All candidates must demonstrate social and emotional maturity consistent with professional standards of classroom instruction as well as adequate physical health for teaching
Student Teaching placements
Arizona Certification requirements embedded in your major coursework:
- One Structured English Immersion course
- US/AZ constitution
Required Arizona education exams
In order to obtain an Arizona teaching certificate you must pass both the appropriate National Evaluation Series subject matter test and the National Evaluation Series Secondary Assessment Professional Knowledge.
The Test Preparation Center, located in the College of Education curriculum library, provides resources to help you prepare for the test.
Once you complete your program, you will receive an Institutional Recommendation (IR) from NAU. You will take your IR to the Department of Education along with:
- A copy of your passing scores of the Professional Knowledge Test
- Your IVP fingerprint clearance card
- The required fee
Questions about the PEP application, or your To-Do list items in LOUIE? Contact Adrienne.Kuntz@nau.edu.