Why Athletic Training at NAU?
- The NAU AT Program boasts an 85.5% first-time pass rate (2016-2022) on the BOC examination for the certification of athletic trainers. The national average is 77.2%.
- NAU MSAT Program Outcomes: 3-year average for BOC Pass Rates, Graduation Rates, Employment Rates – by cohort
- The only Master of Science Professional program in Arizona that prepares you to take the Board of Certification (BOC) Exam
- The second year of the program is completely online, allowing you to be placed at a clinical site in accordance with your career aspirations
- Clinical Sites include the Arizona Diamondbacks, Seattle Mariners, The Denver Broncos Football Club, Stanford University, Several High Schools in Arizona, Community Colleges in AZ and California, University of Arizona, Arizona State University, University of San Diego, University of Washington, The University of Colorado – Boulder, and many others
- The MSAT program at NAU boasts very affordable tuition costs for its graduate students
- The NAU MSAT program has two locations: Flagstaff Mountain and Phoenix Bioscience Core
- If interested in talking/gathering information about the NAU MSAT Program (meet with Program Director), please schedule a meeting!
- Smaller cohorts (20-30 students) allowing for additional on-on-one time with faculty members
- Variety of teaching methods (first-year both in-person and online; second-year totally online) provides a student-centered focus.
- Professional preparation through clinical experiences, in a multitude of career settings, throughout the United States
- National Certifications and Special Courses/Trainings Offered throughout the program (see below)
National Certifications Offered (optional)
Safe Space Ally Training for Athletic Trainers Accordion Closed
This is a 2.5-3hr training, created by the National Athletic Trainer’s Association LGBTQ+ Advisory Committee. This course trains the participant in appropriate LGBTQ+ terminology, recognizing and addressing implicit bias, important concepts related to healthcare disparities, how to be an active ally, and how to create an inclusive LGBTQ+ AT facility.
Stop the Bleed Training Accordion Closed
This 1.5-2 hr course is designed to teach you how to recognize and control life-threatening hemorrhage. This course has been prepared and endorsed by the American College of Surgeons.
ECSI First Aid and CPR Instructor Certification Accordion Closed
AT students will have the opportunity to become an Emergency Care and Safety Institute (ECSI) First Aid and CPR Instructor. This certification will allow the AT student to train coaches and other healthcare providers in ECSI First Aid and CPR. A valuable credential for those wishing to be employed at the HS or Collegiate level.
Other Trainings/Additional In-Services/Workshops Offered (Optional)
Dislocations and Reductions Training Accordion Closed
This 1-1.5 hour training will instruct the AT student in the reduction techniques associated with finger, shoulder, patella, and ankle dislocations. This training is facilitated by a board certified physician specializing in Osteopathic Medicine.
Casting and Orthotic Fitting Training Accordion Closed
This 2-3 hour training will instruct the AT student in basic casting application and removal. In addition, orthotic fitting and assessment will also be included in this workshop. AT Students will have a working understanding of how to evaluate gait/foot posture, and the basic working knowledge of how to fabricate over-the-counter orthotics to help correct abnormalities uncovered during the gait/foot posture evaluation.
Why Choose Athletic Training?
- The only health care professional that works with patients/athletes throughout the entire injury process.
- AT’s provide care to patients prior to injury (prevention), when injury occurs, throughout the injury recovery process, and during the return to play process, and after the complete return to play.
- Career Opportunities
- University or Community College Athletic Trainer
- High School Athletic Trainer
- Outpatient Physical Therapy Clinic
- Hospital setting, Military Setting, Industrial Setting, Performing Arts