Master of Social Work Degree
The mission of the Northern Arizona
University’s MSW Program, grounded in the history, purpose, and values of the profession, is to educate competent
generalist and advanced generalist social workers for practice with diverse
populations and multi-level social systems in local, regional and global
Our generalist and advanced generalist
foci are grounded in social work knowledge, values and skills; geared to
practice with rural and Indigenous populations of the Southwest; and, focused
on addressing poverty, structural racism, and oppression; providing leadership
in promoting human rights and social, economic, and environmental justice; and
service with vulnerable and underserved populations locally, regionally, and
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR
- A baccalaureate from a regionally
- A course in human biology (by the end of
the first semester in the MSW Program)
- A course in basic or applied statistics. (by the end of the
first semester in the MSW Program)
- An undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a four
- A minimum of 250 volunteer and/or relevant
paid human service work experience.
Applications will be considered until March 15th, as space allows.
will need to apply to the Graduate College at Northern Arizona University and be accepted
Submit a complete
Master of Social Work application which will
A personal statement addressing the following three questions. (typed/ 5-6 pages/ double spaced)
- Describe any experiences that have
influenced your selection of social work as your professional career.
- Discuss your understanding of the
following concepts: structural racism, advocacy, human rights, and social,
economic and environmental justice.
- Explain your reasons for selecting the
NAU MSW Program and discuss how you plan to be fully engaged in all the
academic requirements of the MSW program, including field practicum and
graduate level coursework.
2. Professional resume documenting a minimum of 250 volunteer and/or relevant paid human service work experience.
3. Official College/University transcripts (one (1) copy from each institution
4. Prospective students will also need to identify three references (At least one of these must come from a
professor at an academic institution, and one from an employer or volunteer supervisor.)
Please email all application materials to MSWApp@nau.edu.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
Please read our MSW FAQ's, then contact NAU-SSW@nau.edu if you have additional questions about the program.