K. Laurie Dickson,
PhD Developmental Psychology, University of Utah, 1994
MA Developmental Psychology, San Francisco State University, 1990
BA Psychology, Hamline University, 1988
As the Associate Vice Provost – Curriculum and Assessment, Dr. Dickson currently leads the Office of Curriculum, Learning Design, & Academic Assessment. Her goal is to move academic programs toward greater curricular cohesion and sustained assessment efforts in order to enhance student learning. Dr. Dickson's current scholarly interests focus on the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL). More specifically, Dr. Dickson, in collaboration with colleagues, designs, implements, and publishes research examining the effect of course redesign, student learning aids, crib cards, and exam format on exam performance and student learning.
- Dickson, K. L. & Treml, M. M. (in press). The link between assessment and scholarship of teaching and learning in R. A. R. Gurung and J. A. Wilson (Eds.)Doing the Scholarship of Teaching Learning: Measuring Systematic Changes to Teaching and Improvements in Learning.
- Bartch, R. A. & Dickson, K. L. (in press). How SoTL can aid in the academic job search. In R. A. Smith, and B. Schwartz (Eds.). Using SoTL to Enhance the Academic Job. Society for the Teaching of Psychology.
- Demir, M., Birkett, M., Dickson, K. L., & Miller, M. D. (2013). Solving Problems through Psychology: Science and Application. Cognella Academic Publishing.
- Dickson, K. L. (2012). The hallmark of psychology: Science and application.Teaching Psychology Around the World Volume 3. Newcastle, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Dickson. K. L. (2012). Critical Analysis: Crib card use in college classrooms. Teaching Psychology Around the World Volume 3. Newcastle, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. McCarthy, S. N., Cranney, J., Dickson, K. L., Trapp, A., & Karandashev, V. (Eds.). (2012). Teaching Psychology Around the World Volume 3. Newcastle, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Birkett, M., & Dickson, K. L. (2012). Teacher's Guide: The Power of Habit - Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business. New York: Random House.
- Funk, S. C., & Dickson, K. L. (2011). Multiple-choice and short answer exam performance in a college classroom. Teaching of Psychology, 38(4), 273-277.
- Funk, S. C., & Dickson, K. L. (2011) Crib card use during tests: Helpful or a crutch? Teaching of Psychology, 38(2), 114-117.
- Wayment, H. A. & Dickson, K. L. (2008). Increasing student participation in undergraduate research benefits students, faculty, and department. Teaching of Psychology, 35(3), 194.
Given Dr. Dickson’s current administrative position as the Associate Vice Provost - Curriculum & Assessment, she is not teaching any psychology courses.
Dr. Dickson was honored to be named a President's Distinguished Teaching Fellow in 2013, to receive the NAU President's Award for Faculty in 2011 and to be awarded the Outstanding Teacher of the Year award in the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences in 2000.