- GSP Students will develop an understanding and appreciation of the diversity of the planet in terms of its physical and human geography. They will learn how our natural and cultural landscapes have evolved through geographic time, space, scale, and context. They will develop self-awareness of their own situation and awareness and empathy for other peoples, cultures, communities and environments, and an openness to the earth’s great geographic differences. They will learn skills of spatial thought and analysis that enhance their ability to work with and appreciate diversity, while maintaining the objectivity needed to succeed in their chosen careers.
GSP Learning Outcomes
1) Global Awareness and Engagement - GSP Graduates will
be able to articulate how external or global processes influence and interact
with local places and development decisions.
2) Sustainable Environments and Communities - GSP Graduates will
be able to evaluate and design more sustainable and livable places while
considering the interrelationships between physical and human environments.
3) Our Diverse World - GSP Graduates will
be able to objectively appraise different perspectives and approaches
originating from diverse places and physical environments.
4) Written Communication - GSP graduates will be able to professionally communicate
synthesized knowledge, research, and designs through written products
appropriate for diverse audiences and perspectives.
5) Oral Communication - GSP
graduates will be able to professionally communicate synthesized knowledge,
research, and designs through
oral presentations for diverse audiences.
6) Geospatial Techniques - GSP graduates will be able to interpret, design, and
produce quality 2D and 3D computer-generated maps and illustrations that
communicate spatial knowledge at local, regional, and global scales.
7) Planning and Participation - GSP graduates will be able to work effectively in teams to
design more sustainable places through the synthesis and input of various
disciplinary and community perspectives.
8) Research and Analysis - GSP graduates will be able to apply relevant qualitative
and quantitative research methods to conduct scientific, objective inquiries at
local, regional, and global scales.