Resolution and Compliance


extended campuses static banner

NAU resolution process

Northern Arizona University is committed to providing a valued learning experience for our students and we appreciate the opportunity to enhance that experience. Should an issue be brought to our attention, NAU will take appropriate action to seek resolution.  Students are encouraged to pursue our internal resolution process for any complaints before contacting external state sources for resolution.

NAU students are encouraged to first speak to their faculty member if they have an academic issue. If an issue cannot be resolved at that level, a student may contact the academic department for information on how to proceed. 

If the issue involves a dispute concerning a grade, there is a policy to address grade appeals in the Student Handbook.

If the issue involves an allegation of academic dishonesty, please review the appeal policy.

If an issue submitted to NAU by a student is unresolved and involves a complaint arising under State laws, an Arizona Board of Regents policy or any other matter, the student may contact the Arizona Board of Regents (in accordance with 75 Fed. Reg. 66865-66, Oct. 29, 2010), by visiting: ABOR sites or by submitting a request directly. A student may also call the ABOR office at 602-229-2511.

SARA Complaint Process

The Arizona SARA Council has jurisdiction over Arizona SARA-approved institutions including NAU in relation to non-instructional complaints. Instructional complaints, such as grade grievances, are not reviewed by the Council and should not be submitted for review. Prior to registering a non-instructional complaint with the Arizona SARA Council, the student/complainant must complete NAU’s and the Arizona Board of Regent’s complaint process, as listed above.  Non-instructional complaints may be submitted here. An NAU student who resides in a SARA state may also contact that state's SARA portal agency with a non-instructional complaint.

Other Resolution Options

Students have the right to contact higher education regulatory agencies or an accrediting agency contacts for specific issues.

For students who are residents of states outside of Arizona, consumer inquiries also may be directed to the following consumer protection agencies.

NAU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.  Questions about NAU’s compliance with criteria for accreditation can be directed to: 

Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, Illinois 60604-1411