Open and ongoing communication is the key to establishing and maintaining a positive and successful roommate relationship. The roommate agreement process initiates communication, establishes shared living expectations and responsibilities, and provides a great foundation for roommate satisfaction.
After you move into your room, you will receive an email with a link to the digital roommate agreement with detailed information about the process and steps to complete by the end of the first week of class:
- Step 1: Each roommate completes a private individual profile related to common roommate topics such as guests, noise, studying, cleaning and sleeping.
- Step 2: Once all individual profiles are submitted, the system will compare the profiles and identify like-mindedness between roommates, based on the range of difference between your answers and those of your roommate(s).
- Step 3: All roommates meet together as a group to review and complete the roommate agreement using a computer or laptop. One roommate will log in to record notes for the group a review your like-mindedness in each section/construct. Coaching questions are included for you and your roommates to discuss. Review each section/construct:
- areas of agreement will have a green background
- areas of some difference will have a yellow background
- areas of more significant difference will have a red background
- Step 4: Starter "room rules" are displayed based on your like-mindedness. These are starting points for you to discuss as a group, as you can add or modify the "room rules" to note additional notes and expectations for living together. Be sure to create rules that are based on observable behaviors, such as "We will take out the trash every Wednesday and Saturday, and will take turns taking out the trash." Allow each roommate to speak, so that everyone has contributed and agreed to each room rule. The recording roommate will type in their initials after each section/construct.
- Step 5: Once the group has reviewed all sections/constructs, and the roommate currently logged in has initialed each section, that person logs out. The while still together, every other roommate takes turns logging into the roommate agreement with their userID and initials each section noting their agreement with what has been entered on the agreement.
Note: for those living in suites and apartments, roommates sharing the unit and common space will fill out a second agreement that applies to all shared space (bathrooms, kitchens and living rooms as applicable). For example, in Gabaldon all four suitemates will complete a roommate agreement together to ensure that expectations are established for the shared bathroom. Likewise, all students living in a McKay Village apartment will complete a roommate agreement together to discuss and agree upon shared living areas in the living room, kitchen and bathroom.
Your Resident Assistant (RA) will talk about the roommate agreement process at the first floor meeting. Your RA will also follow up with you and your roommate(s) to discuss highlights from your roommate agreement and help reinforce the ideas and "room rules" you put into place.