Important Graduation Information
All Undergraduate students who wish to graduate from Northern Arizona
University must file a graduation application. Note that graduation and commencement are separate concepts and events.
Graduate students must follow the Graduate College instructions for graduation.
Graduation versus Commencement
Graduation - Graduation refers to the fulfillment of degree requirements and the conferral of a degree.
Commencement - The public ceremony to celebrate your accomplishments.
- Your graduation application will initiate the graduation process toward the conferral of your degree, as well as reserve your spot in the commencement ceremony. Participating in commencement does not mean that you have graduated.
- For more information about Commencement, please visit the Commencement site.
The Graduation Application
The Graduation Application is an online process in order to facilitate your transition to graduation:
- Please make sure to check your Academic Advisement Report (AAR) in your LOUIE Student Center to ensure that all degree requirements have been satisfied.
- If you have additional questions or concerns regarding your AAR, please contact your Academic Advisor.
- If there is a problem with your pending graduation, you will be notified via your NAU email.
- Continue to check your NAU email account after the term has finished until you have received your diploma.
If you are transferring credits, you will need to send official transcripts from the other institutions. Unofficial transcripts will not satisfy your graduation requirements. Please send all official transcripts to:
Northern Arizona University
PO Box 4084
Flagstaff, AZ 86011
Once your transcripts have been processed, you will be able to view the coursework taken at the other institutions on your NAU unofficial transcripts, which you can access through your LOUIE Student Center. Due to the high volume of transcripts being processed by the Transfer Center, it may take 4-6 weeks for the transferred coursework to appear on your NAU transcript.
Diplomas are not granted at the time of commencement:
- You will receive your diploma in the mail 4 to 6 weeks after the term ends.
- Your diploma will be mailed to your "Home" address specified in your LOUIE Student Center.
To update your name for graduation:
- Please submit a Change of Name form with the proper documentation to the Office of the Registrar, and indicate that you have applied for graduation on the form.
If you need to order an extra or replacement diploma:
- You will need to submit the Diploma Replacement Request form to the graduation office.
- The costs associated with ordering a duplicate diploma are listed on the form.
If you need an Apostille/notarized copy of your diploma:
- Submit a Diploma Replacement Request to the Graduation Office.
- The diploma and notary copy will be mailed to you or a family member in the U.S.
- You will be responsible for submitting the notarized copy of your diploma with the Apostille form and a $3 money order to the State of Arizona.
- Once complete, the Apostille will be sent to you or the specified family member.
Still have more questions?
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.