AZ Prop 300: Public Program Eligibility

A person who is not a citizen, a legal resident of the U.S., or who is without lawful immigration status is not entitled to classification as an in-state student for tuition purposes.
This law applies to all students attending Northern Arizona University.
Students who fail to provide proof of eligibility will be charged out-of-state tuition and cannot receive tuition waivers, grants, scholarship assistance, financial aid, tuition assistance or any other type of financial assistance that is subsidized or paid in whole or in part with state monies.
NOTE: Students residing outside the United States, please contact the Extended Campuses Service Center for more information,

Proposition 300 FAQ's:

What is Proposition 300?

Proposition 300 is a referendum approved by Arizona voters in November 2006. Proposition 300 provides that university students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents, or who do not have lawful immigration status, are not eligible for in-state tuition status or financial aid that is funded or subsidized by state monies. 

When did it become effective?

This law became effective on December 7, 2006. For more information go to:

Arizona State Legislature 15-1825 Prohibited financial assistance: report

Arizona State Legislature 15-1825 Alien in-state student status

What are acceptable documents to submit?

See all acceptable documents here.

Submission of one of the following documents may be accepted as evidence of meeting this requirement.

  • Arizona Driver's License or non-operator ID issued by the Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) after October 1, 1996.
  • Driver's License issued in a state, territory or possession of the U.S. EXCEPT for Alaska, Hawaii, Iowa, Illinois, Michigan, Montana, North Carolina, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Washington and Wisconsin.
  • Birth certificate showing that you were born in the United States, which includes Puerto Rico (on or after January 13, 1941), Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands (on or after January 17, 1917), American Samoa, Swain's Island, or the Northern Mariana Islands, unless you were born to foreign diplomats residing in the U.S.
  • U.S. passport, current or expired, except limited passports (which are typically issued for short periods such as a year and which do not receive as much scrutiny as a regular passport when applying). In the case of nationals who are not citizens, the passport will be stamped "Non-citizen National."
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs Card Number, Tribal Treaty Card Number, or Tribal Enrollment Number.
  • Tribal Certificate of Indian Blood or Tribal or Bureau of Indian Affairs Affidavit of Birth.
  • Form FS-240 (Consular Report of Birth Abroad), FS-545 (Certificate of Birth issued by a Foreign Service post), or DS-1350 (Certification of Report of Birth). These are State Department documents.
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561), issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in the Department of Homeland Security to individuals who derive U.S. citizenship through a parent.
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or N-570), issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in the Department of Homeland Security through a federal or state court, or through administrative naturalization after December 1990 to those who are individually naturalized.
  • Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551 since 1997) or Resident Alien Card (Form I-551 before 1997) issued to students who are permanent residents.
  • Form I-94 or I-94A annotated with a stamp showing admission under Section 207 of the Immigration Nationality Act (INA). They may also have the old Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571) or the new U.S. Travel Document mentioned above annotated with "Refugee Travel Document Form I-571 (Rev. 9-2-03) issued to refugee.
  • Form I-94 or I-94A with a stamp showing admission under Section 208 of the INA issued to persons granted asylum in the U.S.  They may also have the same travel documents described under refugees above.
  • Current part or full-time employment by the university with a completed and verified I-9.
  • Students who successfully complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the university receives a valid acknowledgement from the U.S. Department of Education. (A U.S. citizen student needs only to file the FAFSA and receive acknowledgement that NAU has received it for this to serve as proof of eligibility of citizenship.)  
    • This does not automatically satisfy your To Do item.  Please check your Student Center to see if you need to submit a new form of identification.

Whom do I contact for questions about acceptable documents?

Questions for Undergraduate Students can be directed to (928) 523 - 5490 or emailed to

Questions for Graduate Students can be directed to (928) 523 - 4348 or emailed to

When and where should I submit my documentation?

Undergraduate Students

Graduate Students

Northern Arizona University
Student Service Center
PO Box 4050
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-4050

Fax documents to: (928) 523-7330
Be sure to include your name and 7 digit NAU ID on all documents
Questions can be directed to
888-628-2968 or
emailed to

Northern Arizona University
Graduate College
Box 4125
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-4125

Fax documents to: (928) 523-8950
Be sure to include your name and 7 digit NAU ID on all documents
Questions can be directed to
(928)523-4348 or
emailed to

Does Proposition 300 apply to me?

A. If you (a) do not receive in-state tuition status or Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) tuition status, and (b) do not receive financial aid funded by state monies (Arizona), then you are NOT affected by Proposition 300. 

B. If you (a) receive in-state tuition status or Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) tuition status, or (b) receive financial aid that is supported by state monies (Arizona), then you are affected by Proposition 300.

If Proposition 300 applies to me then what do I need to do?

A. With rare exceptions, students in the following groups will NOT have to provide further documentation of lawful presence.

  1. Students who have completed a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) may have already verified lawful presence in the U.S. and may not need to provide further information.
    • Please check your To Do List in your LOUIE Student Center to see if you need to submit a new form of identification. 
  2. Students who have unexpired student visas that have been verified by the Office of International Students.
  3. Student workers who have provided I-9 verification after 1986 to the University Office of Human Resources.
  4. Students who seek neither financial aid nor resident tuition status. 

If you do not fall into any of the groups above, and you wish to apply for in-state tuition or financial aid supported by state monies, then you must provide document of:

  1. U.S. Citizenship; or
  2. Legal resident of the U.S.; or
  3. Lawful immigration status.

How often must I provide documentation?

Once proof of residency status is determined; it will be updated only when receipt of new information is submitted by the student and reviewed by the appropriate office. For example, when a visa expires it must be renewed if state supported aid is to be provided. 

Does Proposition 300 prohibit all financial aid to students who cannot show lawful presence?

No. Proposition 300 does not restrict eligibility for scholarships funded by non-state sources (including private-donor scholarships administered by NAU), as long as the student meets all other scholarship criteria (i.e., major, college, etc.).

Does Proposition 300 require NAU to report students without lawful presence enrolled at NAU?

No. Proposition 300 requires reporting aggregate data, not individual student information. Personally identifiable student information is subject to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

Does Proposition 300 deny access by undocumented studentsto admission to an Arizona public college or university?

No. Proposition 300 requires that students who are not legal citizens of the United States or who are without lawful immigration status be excluded from classification as in-state or county residents. It also holds that a person who is not a U.S. citizen and without lawful immigration status will not be entitled to receive financial assistance that is paid or subsidized in whole or in part with state funds. It does not prevent such students from enrolling at NAU.