2017 Summer Academy June 3- July 1 An Invitation
Join our program! Nizhoni Academy offers Native American high students (current freshmen and sophomores) the opportunity to live and learn in a diverse and vibrant community. Nizhoni provides an environment that is academically challenging, yet filled with new experiences and opportunities for social, recreational and cultural excitement. We hope you are inspired by what you find out about the Nizhoni Academy, and that you will join us for an enrichment opportunity at Northern Arizona University.
At Nizhoni Academy, you will explore climate change, sustainability, and how it directly effects Indigenous lands through a hands-on, writing intensive curriculum. Students can expect:
- Year 1 students will explore trends in climate change as effected by consumerism, agriculture and the "western" way of life, on a global scale.
- Year 2 students complete an in-depth project on a climate change issue that directly effects Indigenous lands and the students community. This project will change yearly.
- Both Year 1 & 2 students take a science lab and may attend field trips that enhance the curriculum.
- Year 3 seniors take a college level course in a STEM field.
- All students participate in a Service Matters course, academic advising, financial literacy and receive tutoring.
Cost to attend
Adequate funding enables us to offer the benefits of Nizhoni Academy at no expense to the participants. Each participant will be provided with room and board.
We have recently made a big change to our program, please see our Nizhoni Academy newsletter for our exciting new update!