The Walnut Creek Center for Education and Research (WCCER)
Founded in 1998, The Walnut Creek Center for Education and Research (WCCER) is a partnership between Prescott College, Northern Arizona University, The Arboretum at Flagstaff, and Prescott National Forest.
WCCER occupies the Forest Service's decommissioned Walnut Creek Station and administrative site. A diversity of researchers, students, and public visitors utilize the 275-acre site of Arizona uplands and riparian gallery forest each year. WCCER has completed a biological inventory grant from the Arizona Department of Water Resources. In its relatively short history, the WCCER has blossomed with diverse scientific projects.
The Prescott National Forest established the Walnut Creek Station in 1908 to serve as the District Ranger Station for the northwest quadrant of the Prescott National Forest.
The Walnut Creek Center for Education and Research is host to a variety of Educational, Research, Volunteer, and Outreach programs.
Two perennial streams, Walnut Creek and Apache Creek, flow through the property. The Juniper Mesa wilderness area is approximately one km north of the property.