Mexican Automobile Insurance

A Mexican Automobile Insurance program through State Risk Management covers university vehicles traveling into Mexico.  Prior to the trip, University travelers must obtain a Mexican Insurance Packet, specific to each vehicle, from Insurance and Claims Services.

Mexican law only recognizes insurance coverage issued by Mexican insurance companies.  The Mexican government (and police) does not recognize policies written by American insurance companies, even if that policy has Mexican coverage. 

To comply with Mexican requirements, each packet is University vehicle specific and contains the Tourist Vehicle Identification Card, copy of the vehicle title, and information from State Risk Management.  Employees should obtain written authorization (on NAU stationary) from their Dean or supervisor granting them permission to drive a State vehicle into Mexico on University business.  When the employee returns to the University, return all insurance packets to Insurance and Claims Services (P. O. Box 4067).  These packets will be used each time that particular vehicle travels to Mexico during the policy period.

The University does not provide Mexican insurance coverage for private vehicles.  Most commercial rental vehicle contracts prohibit travel into Mexico.

How to obtain a Mexican Insurance Packet

Call the Insurance and Claims Services department at (928) 523-2009 to request a Mexican Insurance Packet.  Allow 10 working days for processing the packet.  The following information will be required to process the insurance packet:

  • Department name
  • Name of NAU authorized driver(s)
  • Date entering Mexico
  • Date leaving Mexico
  • Location of travel
  • Purpose of travel
  • NAU vehicle license number and/or vehicle number
  • Number of NAU employees traveling
  • Number of NAU students traveling
  • Will a trailer be used (if so, need NAU license number)

Accident reporting

In case of an accident, follow the detailed instructions in the insurance packet.  You must report incidents both to the Mexican insurance carrier and to NAU Insurance and Claims Services.   Information links include the following:

Mexico Claim Reporting Requirements

Mexico Auto Accident General Information

Border Zone or Free Trade Zone

University employees driving University vehicles within the Border Zone (usually up to 20 kilometers/12.42 miles south of the U.S./Mexico Border) or the Free Trade Zone(including the Baja California Peninsula and the Sonora Free Trade Zone) should contact NAU Insurance and Claims Services to obtain a Mexican Insurance Packet.  However, employees traveling beyond these zones, contact the Insurance and Claims Services department, for current guidelines.

Additional links related to travel outside the U.S.:

For more information on Mexican Automobile Insurance, contact the Insurance and Claims Services department at (928) 523-2009.