Affordable Care Act Resources
Monitor hours worked of variable employees to ensure compliance with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).Read more
NAU Human Resources:
- provides marketplace notices to new employees which is done when the employee completes their HireXpress hiring packet.
- ensures that the benefit coverage for all existing
benefit-eligible employees meets the ACA requirements of affordable coverage and
- established the standard measurement period which reflects a 12-months 'look back' measurement method to determine if an employee establishes full-time status over a one year period.
- monitors the initial and standard measurement and stability periods for all variable hour employees.
- offers healthcare insurance benefits to eligible
variable hour employees who average 30 work hours or more per week during the measurement period.
- established the 'hour equivalency' method for part-time faculty.
- provides guidance to departments and employees as needed.
NAU Department Managers'
NAU department managers shall ensure the ePAR entry and time sheets appropriately reflects all hour worked for hourly/salaried variable employees. At any time, the department managers can request assistance from Human Resources for additional information on how to calculate the weekly average work hours for hourly/salaried variable employees.
Click on the links below for more
information on the NAU's rules for the measurement and stability periods; hour
equivalency method; and breaks in service.
Standard measurement and stability periods
Calculating Weekly Average Hours for Part-Time Faculty
Breaks in service - How do breaks in service impact the average hours an employee works?