Other Types of Leaves of Absence
The university also offers eligible employees the following types of leave of absences:
- Jury Duty
Covered Family Members Include:
Regular employees may request up to three consecutive paid working days for the death of a covered family member. Two additional paid working days may be granted for out of state funeral arrangements or services.
- child (natural, step, adopted, foster, in-law)
- parent or parent-in-law (natural, step, adoptive, surrogate)
- brother or brother-in-law
- sister or sister-in-law
- person who is a permanent member of the employee's established household
For family members not listed above, three consecutive sick days may be used to attend or arrange funeral services. Two additional sick days may be granted for out of state funeral services.
You should notify your supervisor as soon as possible and you should submit a Request of Absence (ROA) to your supervisor for your time away from work.
You may be granted temporary emergency leave if you are excused from work by the president of the university or the president's designee due to a natural disaster or other reasons which may restrict or jeopardize the employee's safety.
Jury Duty and Material Witness Service
You may request leave if you are called upon for service as a jury member or as a material witness, unless related to the employee's business or personal matters.
- You should notify your supervisor as soon as possible and you should submit a Request of Absence (ROA) to your supervisor for your time away from work
- If you receive a fee as a juror, it should be paid to the university or an equal amount should deducted from your pay. You can retain travel reimbursements.
If you are registered and entitled to vote at a primary or general election you may be absent for the purpose of voting if:
- there are fewer than three consecutive hours between the opening of the polls and the beginning of the employee's regular work shift
- there are fewer than three consecutive hours between the end of the employee's regular work shift and the closing of the polls.
You should request the time away from work in advance and your supervisor will specify the hours that the employee may be absent.