Family Medical Leave (FMLA)

FMLA is available to eligible employees who may need to take time away from work due to personal illness, family illness or other qualified family matters.  An eligible employee may request a total of twelve weeks of FMLA during any twelve month period.

Learn about Your Rights and  Responsibilities Under FMLA


You may be eligible to request a FMLA leave if you:

  • work more that 50% time (20 hours per week)
  • have worked for the university for a continuous period  of not less than one year
  • have worked at least 1,250 hours in the prior 12 month period 


If your leave request is approved, you could be granted leave up to a 12-week period. Important: In no instance will combined sick leave, vacation leave, family medical leave of absence, extended leave of absence with any combination of paid or unpaid leaves for more than 12 months.

Learn about the special rules for birth and bonding

How to Request Family Medical Leave

Whenever possible you should request Family Medical Leave at least 30 days in advance. You should also notify your supervisor that you are requesting leave.

  • To request Family Medical Leave complete the online 'Leave of Absence Request' form . 
  • You will receive an email confirming the receipt of of your request.  
  • Your supervisor will be notified of your request.
  • Human Resources will evaluate your request and notify you if you are eligible for Family Medical Leave.  

Notify your department

Although Human Resources will notify your supervisor once you have completed the online 'Leave of Absence Request' form, you should also talk to your supervisor when you are planning to request a leave of absence. 

Medical certification 

If you are eligible for Family Medical Leave, Human Resources will request medical certification. You will be sent a 'Certification of Health Care Provider' that will need to be completed by a physician.

  • This certification must include enough information to confirm a serious health condition exists, the probable duration and the specific period of incapacity of the employee or family member. 
  • If the request is for intermittent leave the certification must state the dates on which such treatment is expected to be given and the duration of such treatment. 
  • You may be required to provide recertification at thirty day intervals during the Family Medical Leave period

Leave determination

Once the completed 'Certification of Health Care Provider' is submitted, Human Resources will determine if you are eligible for the Family Medical Leave 
  • If eligible, you will be sent a 'Designation Letter' approving your time away work under Family Medical Leave.
  • If not eligible, you will be sent a denial letter indicating the reason for denial.
  • If the information is not sufficient to determine if you are eligible for Family Medical Leave, you will be sent a notice requesting additional information or clarification of the information submitted, along with a deadline for submitting the requested information.

Paid vs unpaid status

In order to receive pay during Family Medical Leave, you may use accrued sick leave, vacation or compensatory time. Flex time is not accrued and can not be used to stay in a paid status.

comparison of paid vs unpaid status

Paid Status

To use accrued leave, you must complete and submit a Request of Absence (eROA).  If you are unable to submit the required eROA(s), your supervisor should submit the ROA(s).  Benefit contributions at the employee rate will continue to be deducted while you are on leave.

Unpaid Status

If you do not have accrued leave, you must submit eROAs for leave without pay. If you are unable to submit the required eROA(s), your supervisor should submit the ROA(s).

Personal payments for benefits

If any portion of your leave is unpaid you will be required to make personal payments for your benefits at employee rate. You will need to contact Human Resources to make payment arrangements. If you fail to make the required payments your benefits may be terminated.

Other income replacement options

In addition to accrued paid time off you may have other options for income replacement while on FMLA.

Short term disability

If you enrolled in short term disability through the Hartford or Unum Provident, you may qualify for benefits.

  • The Hartford: In order to file a claim call the Hartford directly at (866) 712-3443.
  • UnumProvident: You will need to complete and submit the UnumProvident Short Term Disability Claim Form to Human Resources. If you are hospitalized for more than a 24 hour period or have outpatient surgery you may not have a waiting period and will need to also complete one of the following forms. UnumProvident Claim Forms      

Long term disability

Long-term disability insurance protects you from loss of income in the event you become disabled for more than six months as a result of illness or non-work related injury. All benefit-eligible employees are required to participate in a long-term disability plan. You are automatically enrolled into the long-term disability plan corresponding to your retirement plan.

  • Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) If you are participating in the ASRS plan, you receive your long-term disability benefits from Broadspire. 
  • Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) If you are participating in the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP), the Public Safety Personnel Retirement System (PSPRS), or are a Post-Doctoral Scholar you are covered by The Hartford Insurance Company.

Contact your Benefits Advisor in order to apply for long term disability.

Compassionate Transfer of Leave (CTL)

After you have exhausted your accrued leave you may be eligible for CTL. Find out more about CTL.