Employee Tuition Reduction Program Changes
NAU is improving the process for employee tuition reduction benefit. Now eligible employees and retirees will be able to submit tuition reduction program requests (formerly known as the EARP) for themselves or their eligible dependents through a new online/web-based form. The new form will streamline the process and provide tracking of requests.
Most employees refer to the current form to request the tuition reduction benefit as the ‘EARP’. The new form will be called the Employee Tuition Reduction Program request or ‘e-TRP’.
The new e-TRP for fall
2017 classes will be available on June 30, 2017 and the first day the tuition
reduction will show on the student’s account will be July 1, 2017. Moving
forward, employees will be able to submit an e-TRP for each semester once
enrollment begins. e-TRPs will be accepted until the last day of
instruction for the semester.
Here are some of the improvements
Improved process with enhanced tracking and email notifications
In most cases the e-TRP will be able to evaluate eligibility via automation on the day the e-TRP is submitted and employees will be notified by email if they are eligible to receive the tuition reduction benefit. An email will also be sent after the tuition waiver has been posted to the student’s account.
The e-TRP will electronically verify enrollment for NAU students. You will not be able to submit an e-TRP for an NAU student (employee, spouse or dependent child) unless the student is enrolled in classes at NAU. Enrollment verification for ASU and U of A students will be completed at those universities.
If the student is your spouse or dependent child they must be listed as a dependent and beneficiary in LOUIE. Please verify the student is listed as a dependent and beneficiary in LOUIE. To view your dependents/beneficiaries in LOUIE, Select Self Service -> Benefits-> Dependent/Beneficiary Info.
Dependent child affidavit
The e-TRP for a dependent child will include the completion of an online affidavit attesting that the dependent child meets the IRS definition of a “Child” and is eligible for the tuition reduction benefit.
Second eligibility check
After classes begin, the e-TRP will do a second eligibility check. If you are not a regular benefit-eligible employee on the first day of classes, the tuition reduction will be removed from the student’s account and the student will be responsible for the full tuition amount.
- Only the employee/retiree can submit a tuition reduction request for themselves or eligible dependents.
- A separate request must be submitted for each student and for each semester.
- You must be an active, regular, benefit-eligible employee or retiree on the first day of a classes in order to be eligible for the benefit.
- The student must be enrolled in classes; requests cannot be accepted if the student is not enrolled in classes.
- The student’s ID number is required to submit an e-TRP. If the request is not for you, then you must get the student number directly from the student.
- NAU may request documentation such as a marriage license, divorce decree, birth certificate, and/or tax return to confirm the eligibility of a spouse or child.
Go to the e-TRP
Process web page for information on how to submit an e-TRP and the link to
If you have questions about the e-TRP or your eligibility for the Employee Tuition Reduction Program , please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 928-523-2223.