Faculty & Staff Resources

Sexual Assault Information for Faculty and Staff Working with Students  

Remember that: 

  • Survivors are not responsible for causing their assaults, only offenders are to blame for sexual assault and rape.
  • Sexual Assault has nothing to do with who the victim is or what she/he looks like.
  • College students are at high risk for sexual assault.
  • College-aged women are four times more likely to be sexually assaulted than women of any other age group. 

Faculty and Staff's Reporting/Supporting Role: 

If you are approached by a student who believes that sexual harassment, assault or violence has occurred, you should provide the student with the following information:

1.  Refer students to the appropriate resources.

2.  Explain that you cannot guarantee confidentiality due to the University's concern for campus safety, but that you will respect their privacy and only pass on information on a need-to-know basis.

3. Explain that retaliation or retribution of ANY kind taken against an individual as a result of that person filing a complaint, requesting information, cooperating in an investigation, or otherwise participating in these reporting procedures is strictly prohibited.

4. Explain that the student can:
  • File a criminal complaint.  Victims may pursue criminal charges by contacting NAUPD at 928-523-3000.
  • Contact Northern Arizona Center Against Sexual Assault (NACASA) at 928-213-6112  or Victim Witness at 928-679-7770
  • File a complaint under the Student Code of Conduct.  Victims may pursue administrative complaints alone or in conjunction with a criminal complaint through the Student Code of Conduct by contacting the Office of Student Life at 928-523-5181. 
  • The Office of Student Life also offers support services such as removing victim or alleged assailant from a shared class, providing no contact orders, or assistance in relocation within the residence halls.
  •  File a complaint under the Safe Working and Learning Environment Policy: “Sexual assault and sexual harassment are forms of gender discrimination covered by Title IX and other discrimination laws/policies.  Contact the Office of AA/EO for more information about filing a complaint under the university Safe Working and Learning Environment Policy.
  •  Pursue Counseling/Health Services even if they do not wish to pursue any of the options above. 
5. Follow reporting requirements outlined in the Safe Working and Learning Environment Policy.
Read more about helping student victims here.