Green Jacks, also known as the Student Environmental Caucus, seek to create a culture of sustainability on campus. Every student, faculty, staff, and administrator at the university can be a Green Jack.
As an organization, the Green Jacks respond to the interests of its members. A few signature events include Better World Film Series, Earth Jam, and helping out with Earth Week. If you have an idea for an event please let us know.
Check our Facebook page for updates.
Fall 2017 Better World Seminar Series
All events in this series are held in the International Pavilion Auditorium from 6:00-7:00pm
|September 21st ||Women in Environmental Movements|
|October 23th ||Debate! GMO's Good or Bad?|
|November 20th||Successes in Sustainablity|
|November 28th||Water in Flagstaff|
Interested in being a speaker for one of the series or a co-host? Contact Sarah Holditch.
- Collected thousands of signatures to increase the Green Fee (continuing to work with administration to see it increased!)
- Collected thousands of signatures and worked with administration to get a solar array on the San Fransico Garage!
- Coordinate special conservation events like Earth Jam and the Everybody Party
- Better World Seminar Series Organization
- Volunteering at home football tailgate recycling and Green Game
- Reusable Cup Marketing Campaign
- Organize Earth Week
- Promote the Better World Film Series
- NAU's Annual Earth Hour
- Skydome 2013 Homecoming Waste Audit
- Sustainable Green Cup Tailgate at Homecoming (2011, 2012)
- Hot Topics Café: “Windfall”
- Partnered with the Solar Mosaic crowd-sourcing event
- Partnered with the New York Times and the American Democracy Project on “Times Talk,” which focused on water, climate change, and food issues
- Helped organize the 10/10/10 Global Day of Action
How to get involved
There are many leadership opportunities available with the Green Jacks. E-mail us to sign up for the listserv and find out information about upcoming meetings.
Resources for Green Jack chairs
Co-Chair - Mackenzie Gargano
I am studying Environmental Sciences with an emphasis in Management and certificate in International Forestry and Conservation. I am in the Honors College and I work as a student ambassador for NAU. I am from Gilbert, Arizona and during my childhood my family spent a lot of time in Northern Arizona. I fell in love with Flagstaff’s outdoor culture and community of sustainability. I enjoy spending my free time exploring the Southwest with friends on weekend adventures. My experiences in nature have formed my passion for the environment. During my time at NAU I have been an active member of several organizations within Green NAU. I was a Sustainability Mentor and had the opportunity to educated freshman about sustainable living. I have also been a member of Green Jacks since freshman year and I'm excited to be in a leadership position. I have a passion for the natural world and hope to share my passion with others.
Co-Chair - Paxson Renee
I was born and raised in Anchorage, Alaska. This is my third year at NAU and I am double majoring in Environmental Engineering and Spanish. I will be going abroad to South America for a year in Fall 2018 through the Global Science and Engineering Program. Growing up in Alaska I spent the majority of my time outside, and was able to grow up in one of the most beautiful places. My experiences in Alaska have given me a passion for sustainability and allowed me to become very close to the environment. I plan to dedicate my life instilling sustainability in engineering and our community. Since my Freshman year, I have been a Peer Jacks Mentor, been very involved with the American Society of Civil Engineers, and have been involved with various other Green NAU clubs. I have been an active member of Green Jacks since my Freshman year and am extremely excited to take the role of Co-Chair with Mackenzie!