Tuition Waivers and Graduate Assistantships

Tuition Waiver Scholarships

Tuition waivers—scholarships which pay for all or part of your tuition—may be awarded based on academic merit and/or financial need to full-time students taking at least nine graduate-level credits. Waivers of resident tuition are available to Arizona residents, and waivers of the non-resident portion of tuition are available to students from other states or countries. Please be aware that not all programs offer tuition waiver scholarships. If the program you are applying to offers tuition waiver scholarships, you may apply for those through your department of study. 

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships (GAs) are a great way to fund your graduate education while simultaneously building your resume.

GAs must be enrolled in at least nine, but we advise not more than 12, credit hours per semester.  All graduate assistants with an appointment of 10 or more hours per week are considered residents for tuition purposes during the term of appointment.  All GAs are expected to pay other applicable fees.  

Full-time (20 hours/week) graduate assistantships offer:

  • 100% tuition waiver 
  • a waiver of the student health insurance premium 
  • stipend    

Part-time (10 hours/week) offer:

  • 50% tuition waiver 
  • stipend 

Note: Graduate assistants who also wish to work as student employees must get approval from the Graduate College.

Openings: Academic and Service Graduate Assistantships

Academic graduate assistantships are available through most departments that offer graduate programs, and are awarded with stipends that vary by discipline and duties. Contact your program/department to inquire about assistantship possibilities.   

Non-academic graduate service assistantships are available in departments such as (but not limited to):

  • Residence Life
  • Gateway Student Success Center
  • Institute for Human Development
  • Native American Cultural Center

View current openings and find general information on some annual graduate service assistantships. 

Graduate Assistantship Forms and Resources   

If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to complete these forms, please contact us at

Student Forms and Resources Faculty/Staff Forms and Resources