Tribal Scholarships and Resources

Northern Arizona University Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid provides services to Native American students seeking tribal scholarships as well as information about additional funding resources. Most tribes offer scholarships to their enrolled members who are in college. Other scholarship opportunities are available from sources such as religious organizations and those serving “minority” students.

Carefully read and complete the following requirements needed each year for tribal scholarship funding:

  1. Contact your tribe to learn about specific deadlines and application requirements.
  2. Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid three months prior to your tribe’s scholarship application deadline.
  3. Turn in your Financial Needs Analysis (FNA) form to us at least 6 weeks prior to your tribe’s scholarship application deadline.
  4. Monitor your LOUIE To-Do List and complete any outstanding items as quickly as possible. We cannot complete your FNA until you have been awarded financial aid at NAU.
  5. Ensure your tribe’s scholarship application is complete and submitted to your tribal scholarship office on time.

Common items required by tribal scholarship offices:

  • Certificate of Indian Blood (CIB) or tribal enrollment card
  • NAU admission letter and/or enrollment verification
  • Completed FAFSA each academic year
  • Academic transcripts
  • Financial Needs Analysis completed by the NAU tribal financial aid coordinator

More Resources for Native American Students

Tribal Scholarship Addresses
American Indian College Fund
American Indian Higher Education Consortium
Financial Aid for Native Americans
Gates Millennium Scholars Program
NAU Native American Student Services

In-state tuition for members of Arizona tribes

The following listing of Arizona Indian tribes or groups are federally recognized by Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) and the state of Arizona as eligible for in-state tuition. Proof of tribal enrollment (card or CIB) must be submitted to show tribal affiliation.

Federally Recognized Native American Tribes
Ak Chin Indian Community of the Maricopa (Ak Chin)
Cocopah Tribe of Arizona
Colorado River Indian Tribes of the Colorado River Indian Reservation
Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation
Fort Mojave Indian Tribe
Gila River Indian Community
Havasupai Tribe
Hopi Tribe
Hualapai Indian Tribe
Kaibab Band of Paiute Indians
Navajo Nation
Pascua Yaqui Tribe
Pueblo of Zuni
Quechan Tribe
Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community
San Carlos Apache Tribe
San Juan Southern Paiute Tribe
Tohono O’odham Nation
Tonto Apache Tribe
White Mountain Apache Tribe
Yavapai-Apache Nation
Yavapai-Prescott Tribe 

Please send a copy of your tribal card or CIB with your student ID number on it to the area that matches your status:

Undergraduate applicants
Student Service Center
Northern Arizona University
Box 4050
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-4050

Enrolled undergraduate students
Office of the Registrar
Northern Arizona University
Box 4103
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-4103

Graduate students (all)
Graduate College
Northern Arizona University
Box 4125
Flagstaff, AZ 86011-4125

Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: What is a Financial Needs Analysis?

A1: A Financial Needs Analysis (FNA) is a form typically required by your tribe for you to be considered for tribal scholarship funding. We complete the form for you and return to your tribe. The form contains information about your NAU cost of attendance (tuition, fees, housing, meals, etc.) and the financial resources you are receiving for the corresponding academic year or semester. This helps your tribe determine your scholarship and/or grant eligibility.

An FNA is included in your tribe’s scholarship application. Provide your personal information on the FNA and don’t forget to sign it before sending it to our office. We cannot release your financial information to your tribe unless the form is signed. 

Q2: Why do you need my FAFSA to process my FNA?
A2: Your FAFSA information is needed to determine your cost of attendance and offer financial aid based upon your Expected Family Contribution (EFC). Your tribe requires details on your financial aid awards, as well as any remaining educational costs not covered. We cannot complete an FNA on your behalf until your FAFSA and financial aid file ( are complete.
Q3: How do I know when my tribe has received my FNA? And what happens next?

A3: We will send you an email once your FNA has been sent to your tribe. If your tribe has a website for monitoring your application status, be sure to create an account. Provide us with all award or denial letters you receive from your tribe. Submit this information to our office promptly so that adjustments can be made. We must have a copy of your award letter, including a statement of whether the tribe will send funds directly to you.

We will add an anticipated award to your financial aid award letter if your tribe has a standard scholarship amount. The amount is not official until we receive funds from your tribe. However, having the anticipated amount is a good tool to use to accurately determine if your education costs are covered and if you qualify for a refund. Log in to LOUIE

Q4: When do I receive funds from my tribe?
A4: Each tribe is unique and has different funding cycles. Contact your tribe to determine the timeline for application approvals and release of funds to our office. We disburse all available scholarship funding and financial aid about 10 days prior to the first day of each semester. Additional funding received throughout the semester is disbursed daily.
Q5: What are the renewal requirements for my financial aid and tribal funding?

A5: Students must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) to continue receiving federal, state, and institutional financial aid.

In addition, your tribe may have its own annual or semester renewal requirements (cumulative GPA or a minimum number of passing credit hours) that you must meet in order to continue receiving assistance. Review your tribal application and/or award letter for renewal information. We recommend contacting your tribe’s scholarship office directly if you are unclear about the renewal requirements.

Arizona Tribal Lands Map