Establishing Rapport With My Students
Dec. 6, 2:30 - 3:30 pm - Cline Library 169 & Remotely via Skype
Participants in this workshop would learn multiple empirically validated tips and suggestions for improving course evaluations, student perceived learning, attendance, and engagement in classes of various sizes. Participants will also have a chance to learn additional strategies NAU students consider important in promoting rapport.
Meliksah Demir, Associate Professor for Psychological Sciences & Fethiye Ozis, Lecturer for Civil Engineering, Construction Management & Environmental Engineering
Deeper Dive into Engaging Classrooms: Online and In-person
Dec. 7, 9:30 -10:30 am - Cline Library 169 & Remotely via Collaborate Ultra
Would you like to learn how to foster more engagement in your online or in-person classroom and share your ideas with your colleagues? Then join us for this more in-depth session where you can explore what you learned in the Nov. 27 Monday Morning Mentor webinar on engaging classrooms and more. (To subscribe to the Monday Morning Mentor weekly webinar email firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Additional resources on this topic:
Facilitators: Chef Mark Molinaro, School of Hotel Restaurant Management, Dr. Sharon Gorman, e-Learning, Krys Ziska, e-Learning, & Wally Nolan, e-Learning
UDL Community of Practice
Dec. 8, 9:30 -10:30 am - Cline 169
This community of practice brings together interested faculty members who have foundational knowledge of universal design of learning (UDL) or are actively implementing principles of UDL to share ideas about effective practices for teaching and/or research. Meets Friday on the following dates: Jan. 19, Feb. 9, Mar. 23, Apr. 13 & 27.
Facilitator: Sharon Gorman, Sr. Instructional Designer, e-Learning
Dec. 8, 2:00 - 3:00 pm - Cline Library 169
Members meet to share effective or promising practices and discuss how they teach their large courses. Meets Friday on the following dates: Jan. 26, Feb. 23, Mar. 30, & Apr. 27.
How do I join a session remotely? Collaborate Ultra
Skype for Business
*WEB CONFERENCING OPTION: Join virtually via Blackboard Collaborate Ultra. (Resources on how to use Collaborate Ultra
Copy and paste the below link into a web browser. (Google Chrome or Fire Fox are recommended)
Make sure you have logged out of Blackboard (or any program that requires CAS authentication); otherwise you may get an error when accessing the below guest link.https://us.bbcollab.com/guest/e0560752f1db4ed389356d33e7e4ef0f
POINTERS: Once you are in the Collaborate Ultra session, locate the icon set at the bottom of the Collaborate Ultra session window:
* Click on/off the microphone icon to “unmute" and “mute" your microphone
* Click on/off the video icon to activate/deactivate your webcam
* Use the raised hand icon if you have a question
* Open the Collaborate Panel (bottom right-hand purple icon) to access Chat feature and post something
If you have any questions please contact the Faculty Professional Development Program at FacDev@nau.edu
*PHONE CONFERENCING OPTION: Join remotely via Skype for Business. (How do I install & sign in to a SKYPE meeting? & How do I join a SKYPE meeting? )
- If you registered for an event that will have remote access via Skype you will find the access link in the event Outlook invite in your NAU email.
- From you NAU computer, click the link Join "Skype Meeting". You will then join the meeting. If you have a camera you can click to turn on, along with audio. It is best to keep the audio muted until the meeting starts. You can you the message icon to IM into the meeting if you do not have audio.
- From a personal device or having trouble joining click "Try Skype Web App", a web page to install Skype will be brought up. Follow the prompts to install and join meeting. Mac users will need to click the Lync client.
- I still can't join! Just join us by phone and call the phone number in the Outlook invite. You will be prompted to type in the Conference ID # (found in the Outlook invite) and asked to say your name. You will then be connected to join.
- Please plan to log on 5 - 10 minutes prior
to the scheduled start time.
If you have any questions please contact your Faculty
Professional Development Program at FacDev@nau.edu or