Find answers to your pressing Title IX questions. If your question is not listed below, please email equityandaccess@nau.edu 

What are considered Title IX concerns and how do I know when I should report them?

The following are typically Title IX concerns:

  • Sexual harassment
  • Sex or gender based harassment or discrimination
  • Sexual violence
  • Gender based stalking
  • Relationship violence
  • Pregnancy discrimination
  • Sexual orientation harassment or discrimination
  • Gender identity harassment or discrimination

Sometimes individuals are reluctant to report a concern because they aren't sure if what they experienced is "bad enough" or is really a violation of law or policy. Individuals are encouraged to report any concern they have. If a concern doesn't rise to the level of disciplinary action or an investigation the university can still offer support, assistance, resources, and options. Reporting concerns assists the university's ability to take appropriate action both for the well-being of individual students as well as the university community.

What should I do if I believe I have been sexually assaulted?
Your safety is the number one priority. If you are a victim of sexual assault, these steps may help ensure your safety:
  1. Find a safe environment — anywhere away from the perpetrator. If you are at immediate risk, we recommend contacting the police or calling 911. You can give the police as much or as little information as you wish, or request that they contact Victim Witness Services, who will help you understand the process and provide support. If not in immediate risk call the Northern Arizona University Police Department at 928-523-3000 or the Flagstaff Police Department at 928-774-1414.
  2. If there is serious physical injury, it is recommended you go immediately to a hospital emergency room to be examined.
  3. You may also call Victim Witness Services at 928-679-7770 if you would like advice and support and to clarify your options.
  4. If there is no serious physical injury, you may want to go to a medical center as soon as possible to be examined for sexually transmitted infections or pregnancy. Campus Health Services is available for all university students. 
  5. Contact Northern Arizona Center Against Sexual Assault  928-527-1900 to schedule a forensic exam.
What is consent?

"Consent" in the context of sexual activity means informed and freely given words or actions that indicate a willingness to participate in mutually agreed upon sexual activity.

Consent may not be inferred from:

  • Silence, passivity or lack of resistance
  • A current or previous dating or sexual relationship
  • Acceptance or provision of gifts, meals, drinks or other items
  • Previous consent to sexual activity
  • Consent may be withdrawn at any time.
  • Consent may not be obtained using force, threats or coercion.
  • Consent may never be given by a person who is incapacitated by drugs or alcohol.
  • Consent may not be given by someone who is unconscious or asleep.
  • Consent may not be given by someone who cannot mentally make informed judgments.

The use of alcohol or drugs does not diminish one's responsibility to obtain consent and does not excuse conduct that violates the Code of Conduct.

What are steps I should take to preserve any evidence?

Please note that in order for evidence collection to be most effective sexual assault should be reported within 72 hours, but can be collected up to 120 hours (approximately 5 days) after an assault. Arizona has a statute that provides the victim the ability to seek medical treatment for the collection of sexual assault evidence without charge to the victim. The victim does not need to file a police report in order to seek medical treatment for the collection of sexual assault evidence. It is the victim who will decide if they wish to pursue criminal charges.

It is recommended:

  • It is okay to eat or drink before your exam.
  • It is recommended not to shower, bathe or wash any body parts until the exam.
  • It is okay to go to the bathroom, but minimize wiping with toilet paper.
  • If you are wearing the clothes you had on during or immediately after the assault, it is recommended not to change your clothes.
  • Law enforcement may collect your clothes into evidence prior to your exam.
  • If not, please wear the clothes to your exam. The nurse will collect your clothes into evidence and provide you with a new set of clothes. You may want to bring a change of clothes with you.
  • If you have already changed clothes or feel you need to change clothes before the exam, please bring the clothes worn during the assault to your exam even if they have been washed. 
If you have already done any of these actions prior to the exam, it is okay and you may still obtain an exam.
Can the University help even if I don’t report?
Yes, students may work with Student Life and/or Housing and Residence Life to receive interim and or/permanent remedies including: assistance with changing academic situations, living arrangements, questions regarding financial aid, transportation, No Contact Orders, and working situations if requested and reasonably available.  More information regarding this service can be found at Institutional Measures and Remedies
Are only women protected under Title IX?
All gender identities and expressions are protected under Title IX, the Arizona Board of Regents' Non-Discrimination Policy, the Safe Working and Learning Environment Policy, the Student Code of Conduct, and the Standards of Residence. LGBTQIA specific resources can be found through the Inclusion and Multicultural Services Office, 928-523-8511, LGBTQA@nau edu.
Will I be protected against retaliation?
Retaliation against anyone who makes a complaint or who participates in any complaint related process is not tolerated and is a violation of the Arizona Board of Regents' Non-Discrimination Policy, the Safe Working and Learning Environment Policy, the Student Code of Conduct, and the Standards of Residence.
Where can I get a Protective Order or "Restraining Order"
Protective Orders can be obtained through Flagstaff Courts. For the paperwork, help with filing, and more information please contact the Victim Witness Services on Campus Advocate, 928-523-2225.
What is the difference between confidential and private information?
Confidentiality is a legally mandated protection given to counselors, clergy, attorneys, victim's advocates, and doctors working within their field.  When something is confidential it may not be shared without explicit permission.  Private information is only shared with individuals who need to know in order to provide resources, for university risk assessment, or pattern tracking. 
What is a victim's advocate?
A victim's advocate provides free, confidential support and guidance to all victims or witnesses of crime, and those experiencing crisis.  They will not share any disclosed information without permission or as otherwise required by law.  They can assist with understanding options, and provide support through those options, making sure the victim's wants and needs are being heard and addressed.  
What is a Title IX investigator?
Title IX investigators investigate allegations of sex discrimination, including all forms of sexual harassment and sexual violence. The Title IX Investigators utilize the Code of Student Conduct and Disciplinary Procedures and investigate allegations consistently with the requirements of Federal law. The Title IX investigator can also initiate institutional remedies and helps students understand complaint options, University procedures and available resources.  The Title IX Investigator often refers students to the Victim Witness Services On Campus Advocate so the student has a support person to fully explain available University and Community resources and campus procedures related to academic and other support.
Can I have an advisor present when I meet with the Title IX Investigator?
The purpose of the meeting with a Title IX Investigator is for the investigator to hear the individual's perspective. Although, individuals involved in the conduct process have an opportunity to bring an advisor to conduct meetings including hearings, the advisor's role is to provide support and council. The advisor is not to speak for the student. Examples of advisors that may attend include: a parent, an attorney, a staff member, a faculty member, a friend, or a victim/witness advocate.  
What if Alcohol or Drugs were involved and I am underage?
The Office of Student Life is concerned with the well-being of all Northern Arizona University students. Student Life does not typically create Code of Student Conduct charges for alcohol violations that are disclosed during the course of reporting, or while serving as a witness in an investigation related to, potential sexual misconduct. No student should be dissuaded from reporting, or providing information related to, sexual misconduct for fear of disciplinary action related to alcohol consumption.
Where can I find the NAU Annual Campus Safety Report?
The annual Campus Safety and Security report is published to provide information including crime statistics and policies and procedures concerning alcohol, drugs, sexual assault and general safety on the Northern Arizona University campus.  The report can be accessed by going to the NAUPD website and selecting the “Campus Safety & Security Report” button. Anyone, including prospective students and employees, may obtain a paper copy of the report by contacting NAUPD at 928-523-6311.
Where can I find information about the use of alcohol, drugs, sexual assault and other forms of gender violence?
Health Promotion has a variety of information available online.
How can I help stop gender violence from occurring?

Health Promotion provides a listing on their website of the many opportunities to get involved with this issue including:

 Five Ways You Can Be an Active Bystander

  • Intervene if someone is getting ready to initiate sexual activity with a partner who is under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • Intervene when you see “red flags” that might indicate a sexual assault is about to happen.  If someone says, "Now they can't say no", about having sex with someone, distract the person, get the victim out of the situation, and call the police if needed.
  • Speak up when you hear others joke about rape.  Comments such as "That test raped me" are inappropriate and can trivialize rape.
  • Confront rapists and report incidences to the police.  Many perpetrators are unaware that what they have done is a crime.  Let them know that what they did was not right and it was against the law.
  • Attend a "Take a Stand!" bystander training to learn the skills needed to prevent sexual assault on our campus.