Immigration Information & Visa Options for International Faculty and Scholars

Visitor for business or pleasure (B-1/B-2)

The B non-immigrant category is intended for temporary visits to the United States for business (B-1) or pleasure (B-2). Find out more about the program.

Academic Training (AT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT)

OPT and AT are types of temporary work authorization granted to students in F-1 and J-1 status based on their academic programs. Learn more about OPT and AT.

J-1 Exchange Visitor Program

The Exchange Visitor Program, administered by the US Department of State, encourages:

  • educational interactions
  • collaborative connections
  • cultural exchanges

The goal is to increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries. Read more about this unique opportunity designed for scholars (including professors, researchers, and specialists).

Read more about the J-1 program for students.

Temporary specialty worker (H-1B)

The H-1B category allows for the temporary employment of an alien as a professional in a “specialty occupation.” This is defined by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) as an occupation requiring “practical application of a body of specialized knowledge along with at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent.” Discover more about becoming a temporary specialty worker. 

TN Treaty Workers

The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) creates special economic and trade relationships for the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Learn more about the TN treaty workers.

Lawful Permanent Residence

A foreign national faculty or researcher may qualify for permanent residence based on employment at Northern Arizona University. Find out more about establishing a Lawful Permanent Residence

U.S Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) fees

Read more about the fees and petitions announced by USCIS