US Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) Status

International employees who begin their employment at Northern Arizona University in a temporary work authorization status may want to seek employment-based U.S. legal permanent residence (also known as LPR, PR, and green card).

It is important that all recruitment and hiring be done in a way that meets the requirements for this process. Departments should contact the International Scholar Adviser.  For a faculty position, contact the Vice Provost for Academic Personnel at 928-523-2230 for more information.

Northern Arizona University does not promise to file employment-based U.S. permanent residence petitions for a non-immigrant employee, as this depends on:

  • The specifics of each position
  • The recruiting and hiring process
  • Other regulations which impact eligibility

Northern Arizona University may file a petition with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for employment-based sponsorship for LPR. The employee may not hire an attorney to represent Northern Arizona University for this petition.

LPR process

There are three steps in the process to establish LPR:

  • Determine eligibility for the appropriate employment-based LPR classification. The chair/director must contact the International Scholar Adviser to begin the process.
  • The International Scholar Adviser files the petition Form I-140 with the USCIS with the required supporting documentation. An outside attorney may not be used for this petition unless approved by the Center for International Education and the Northern Arizona University Office of Legal Counsel.
  • The foreign national employee applies with Form I-485 to USCIS to request the change of status to LPR. The employee may prepare this application with or without the assistance of an immigration attorney. The International Scholar Adviser cannot provide legal advice to the employee regarding this application.