Changing your status to F-1

Qualifications for F-1 student status

Most non-immigrants in the United States may request a change to F-1 student status. To be eligible for the status change, the person must be:

  • Eligible for F-1 status and have a Form I-20 issued by Northern Arizona University
  • Maintaining a current non-immigrant status from which a change to F-1 status can be requested in the U.S.

Applying for F-1 student status

To apply for a change to F-1 status, the following documents must be submitted to the US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS):

Original documents
  • A completed Form I-539
  • The Form I-539 fee, payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security by check or money order
  • Original I-20 signed by the International Student Adviser and the student
  • Proof of payment of the SEVIS I-901 fee
  • Original I-94 card
Photocopied documents
  • Passport identifying pages
  • Your U.S. visa
  • All immigration documents related to current and previous status in the United States
  • Photocopies of financial support documentation used to request the I-20
  • If applicable, dependent family information included on Form I-539
  • Letter from the applicant indicating why they want to change status

An international student adviser will review your paperwork and will provide the address to send the application.