Peak Performance-Student Employment
Peak Performance Math Coach
Make sure to read the Position Overview below and take a look at the section on How To Apply located at the bottom of the page.
The Peak Performance Math Coaches help incoming students refresh their math skills in order to increase their math placement and help them get on-track for their chosen major. Math Coaches also help incoming students become familiar with resources at NAU and ease students' transition from orientation to move-in.
This is a part-time online summer math tutoring position. You must be currently enrolled at NAU and have access to the internet and a computer from May 30, 2018 - August 10, 2018.
Math Coaches must enroll in a spring 10-week training session scheduled 5:30 - 7:30p on Wednesdays from February 14, 2018 - May 2, 2018 and begin to work May 30, 2018 - August 3, 2018. Math Coaches will be able to set your own hours and will work from home, connecting with their assigned students, informing them about NAU resources, and helping them with any questions they have about their math assignments.
- Help incoming students gain competence in building mathematical skills using NAU math software
- Provide one-on-one tutoring in an online setting using video conferencing
- Help students set achievable academic goals and help them to meet those goals
- Attend weekly video conferences with Team Leaders
- Participate in observations intended to improve your math tutoring skills
- Communicate with your supervisor about any complications
- Maintain accurate records of student outreach and contact
- Submit timely payroll and student activity reports
- Establish and maintain working relationships with students
- Must be a currently enrolled student at NAU
- Must maintain a 3.0 cumulative G.P.A. or higher
- Must have completed MAT 121 or MAT 125 with a B or higher
- Must list a math instructor as a reference
- Must reside in the United States and be willing to work 15 - 25 hours per week from May 30, 2018 - August 3, 2018
- Must enroll in a 10-week training course (USC 208) that is held 5:30 - 7:30p on Wednesdays from February 14, 2018 - May 2, 2018
- Completed MAT 136 with a B or higher
- Ability to troubleshoot issues with technology
- List a reference from NAU math faculty
We encourage students with the following majors to apply:
- All Engineering
- Computer Science
- Exercise Science
- Mathematics and Statistics majors & minors
Supplemental Questions or Additional Instructions
In your cover letter, please address or answer the following prompts:
- Describe your interest in tutoring
- Describe any tutoring experience that you may have
- Describe your experience working with diverse populations
- Describe your experience mentoring your peers
NOTE: a complete application requires an "Other Document". This Other Document is in addition to a resume and cover letter. Your "Other Document" should be the STUDENT EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION & AVAILABILITY FORM FOUND ON HANDSHAKE.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples. EEO Law Poster NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.How To Apply
In order to apply, you will need to complete the following steps:
Complete the online application on or before the final deadline on 11:59 pm MST on Sunday, October 22, 2017.
- Applications submitted after that date will NOT be considered.
- Please note that you must be logged into your NAU Handshake account in order to access this application.
- If you have trouble completing the application, please contact us at PeakPerformance@nau.edu.
If you are selected for an interview, you will be required to bring a paper copy of your resume and a cover letter as your "ticket in."
- You may wish to begin preparing these materials in advance of scheduling an interview. If you need any assistance with this, please contact Career Development.
- You will need to list one math instructor (NAU math faculty preferred) and ask them to complete our online recommendation form.
- When contacting your math instructor, please be sure to provide them with your NAU student email address (in the form firstname.lastname@example.org).
(They will need this information to complete your recommendation.)
- Online Recommendation Form - If a student has requested that you complete a Recommendation Form on their behalf, please visit the Peak Performance Math Coach Recommendation Form.
Preparing Your Application
We require all applicants to submit a resume, cover letter, and one academic or professional recommendation in order to be considered for positions with our department. Take a look at this list of resources related to the application process. We have recommend you look at this list of FAQ's for requesting a recommendation from your desired reference.
Thank you for your interest in Peak Performance! We hope to see you this spring!