The NAU ALEKS Mathematics Placement Test
If you will need accommodations for this test based on disability please contact Disability Resources.
All NAU students are expected to abide by the NAU Policy on Academic Dishonesty.
NAU students are allowed 3 attempts at ALEKS. The 1st attempt is free, the 2nd and 3rd attempts require a $10 charge.
All ALEKS attempts are required to be proctored. We offer
proctored tests in the Lumberjack Mathematics Center Testing Room. Please view the ALEKS Testing Dates and Times page for updated testing information.
The LMC Testing Room is located in Health and Learning Center (building 25) on the 4th
floor, room 4104.
Please remember to bring your NAU ID and a credit card to pay the $10 fee.
- You must have an NAU User ID and Password.
- Make sure you understand the policies related to the testing fees and the number of attempts you are allowed.
- At the end of the test, you will see your score (for example, 126 out of 209) and a pie chart showing the topics you have mastered and those you haven't yet mastered. Move your mouse over the pie chart to see specific topics. You can click on specific topics to see a sample question about that topic. Your placement is determined by the percentage of topics you have mastered. You can use your score to calculate your percentage. (For example, 126 out of 209, 126/209=60%.) Or you can view this percentage at the very bottom of your ALEKS report.
- Refer to the Mathematics Placement Table to determine which mathematics and statistics courses you will be eligible to enroll in.
- Your NAU ALEKS Mathematics Placement Test score will be automatically added to your NAU records within approximately 24 hours after you complete the test. You can view your score in LOUIE under Test Results. Your score will be listed next to ALEKS C. Once your score is available on your NAU records, you will be able to enroll in the mathematics and statistics courses for which you are eligible.
- If you are satisfied with your math placement, then no further action is required. If you want to try to improve your math placement, you can take the NAU ALEKS Mathematics Placement Test again. You are allowed to take the test a maximum of three times total. Your highest score will be used for placement.
- If you choose to take the test again, you should complete a thorough study/review process on your own, with a tutor, or using the ALEKS Learning Module. Even after reviewing and retesting, you might not be able to improve your placement. Some students need to complete a refresher course before moving on. This should not be considered a set back. Rather, it is establishing a firm mathematical knowledge foundation on which to build future courses.
All ALEKS attempts are required to be proctored. If you attempt to take the ALEKS in an unproctored setting you will not be able to access the exam. We offer proctored tests in the Lumberjack Mathematics Center Testing Room. Please view the ALEKS Testing Dates and Times page for updated testing information.
NAU ALEKS Mathematics Placement Test — Ready to test?