Prospective Students

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the difference between a thesis-track and a non-thesis track program?

  • The thesis-track leads to a Master of Science in Engineering (MSE), focuses on research and requires a thesis before completion. This degree can be regarded as a terminal degree as well as a segue into a PhD program.
  • The Master of Engineering (MEng) is coursework based with an optional project opportunity. This degree can be regarded as a terminal degree.

What do I need to apply for admission into the MSE or MEng program?

The department requires the following items:

  • Statement of purpose
    • This should be a short letter addressed to the Admissions Committee. It should state your reason for pursuing your intended degree, what experience you already have, and what experience you hope to gain by completing the degree.  Many guides and examples can be found online.  
  • Curriculum Vitae
    • This is an extended version of your resume. It should support your statement of purpose and provide more information on your studies and experiences.
  • Three letters of recommendation
    • These should come from faculty members who know you from your undergraduate studies. These letters can also come from one of your employers, in the field of study that you are applying for. Input their email addresses within your online application and the system will automatically send the request to each of them.
  • Test scores
    • Official GRE scores are required; the GRE must have been taken no sooner than five years prior to the application.
    • The Graduate College also requires the TOEFL (minimum score of 80) or the IELTS (minimum score of 6.5) for many international applicants. Please see their webpage for more information.
  • Official transcript(s)
    • Your transcripts must be included in your application, and the official transcripts must have your degree posted. If your undergraduate degree will not post until after your application is submitted, please email us at to let us know when you will send us an official transcript with your degree posted.  

How can I apply for the graduate program that I want to pursue?

You can apply through the Graduate College’s online application system, located here.

What if my undergraduate degree was not in an Engineering or Computer Science field?

If your undergraduate degree is not in the same area of study as the program that you wish to apply for, you will need to complete a number of prerequisite courses before being fully admitted into the program. These prerequisite courses may be found in the prerequisite forms that are available for download below. Please download the program and department specific form, fill it out, and send it to with the your name and “Prerequisite form” in the subject line of the email.