Accelerated Master’s programs

Get your master’s degree sooner. If you qualify, you can count six units of major electives toward both your bachelor’s and master’s degree through our accelerated BSE/MSE or BSE/MEng. Visit the NAU Accelerated Programs website (formerly Integrated Programs).

Program requirements:

  • Conditional admission to the Accelerated Bachelor’s/Master’s Program may be granted to either freshmen, transfer students or continuing students that meet the requirements.  Conditional admission will be discontinued once you earn a BSE degree while maintaining performance levels required. 
  • Submit an application for the Accelerated Bachelor’s/Master’s Program as a freshman, transfer student or once you have completed 60 semester hours with at least a 3.25 GPA in 24 hours completed at NAU, and at least a GPA of 3.5 in 12 hours of NAU EE prefix classes.  You must apply and be admitted before you take any of the credits that will be used for both degrees.  You will maintain undergraduate status (for tuition and financial aid purposes) even while taking graduate classes until you receive your BSE degree.  Students admitted conditionally must have an overall NAU GPA of 3.25 and a 3.50 GPA in their major prefix coursework at their BSE graduation.  Students are ineligible to continue in the accelerated program if their overall NAU GPA drops below 3.0 at any time or if they fail to demonstrate adequate progress as defined by the academic program.
  • Students admitted into the accelerated program will sign an agreement, a copy of which is forwarded to the Graduate College.  The Graduate College will seek confirmation from students of their intent to continue after they accumulate at least 90 credits.  A student may withdraw from the accelerated program by informing the academic program in writing, with a copy to the Graduate College.
  • Students must submit an undergraduate application for graduation (BSE) during the term before their expected graduation (which must be at least one semester prior to your MSE or MEng graduation).  Upon posting of your BS degree, you will be granted full graduate status and will be eligible for graduate assistantships and other graduate financial awards.
  • A minimum of 127 units are required for the BSE degree and 30 units for the master’s degree.  Up to 6 units can apply to both degrees. 
  • All required coursework for the bachelor’s degree must be completed with a grade of C or higher with two D’s allowed in elective coursework; coursework credited to both degrees must be completed with a grade of B or higher. 
  • The master’s degree allows for up to 6 units to be a combination of 400-level or individualized study (either 685 - Graduate Research or 697 - Independent Study).
  • Your six undergraduate major electives that will be counted for both degrees must be at the 400- or 500-level and must be approved by your graduate committee; for co-convened classes that count for both degrees, you must take the 500-level option.

See the electrical engineering emphasis or computer engineering emphasis to learn more about the bachelor’s degree options in Electrical Engineering.

See the Master of Science in Engineering or the Master of Engineering to learn more about the master’s degree options in Electrical Engineering.